Chapter 63

REBECCA'S POV

I wake up a little early on Friday morning and decide to make the best of it. I'm feeling a somewhat apathetic about missing Ryan's game but understand the reasoning behind it... To make up for not being there for him, I shower quickly and use Sheila's blow-dryer and straightener to get ready as fast as possible. After slipping Ryan's blue jersey over my head, I sweep some mascara on my lashes, decide on wearing some black leggings, and bolt downstairs to pack lunches and start breakfast. I hear the familiar sound of Ryan's annoying alarm when I hit the bottom of the staircase and smile at how good my timing was.

So far, I had spent the past ten minutes packing everyone's lunches and mixing some pancake batter. Just as Ryan enters the kitchen, I'm pouring some batter into the pan for breakfast.

"Wow. You're up early..." he seemed a tad apprehensive about it.

"I wanted to make you breakfast since I can't come to your game later." His arms slowly wrap around from behind me and he leans to rest his head on my shoulder and watch the undone pancake's slowly bubble.

"Becs you don't have to feel bad for not coming. I would rather you be safe and don't want to chance it," he explained in a low, soft voice. I could practically feel the love flowing from his words and believed him. I flip the pancakes and turn in his arms so we can face each other.

"I know that. I'm just going to miss watching you play... it's addicting."

Ryan chuckles and his adorable dimples make their first appearance of the day. He pecks my cheek before pulling back and looking at me seriously.

"You look very pretty today," he states and turns immediately to start a pot of coffee. I blush and go back to cooking the pancakes, I guess getting up early and doing my hair for once paid off.

---

Right when we get to school, the first thing I see are flyers taped everywhere about homecoming next week. The school is already buzzing with excitement and no matter what my dick of a step-father does, I am going to the homecoming game and I don't think Ryan would fight me on that. I'm busy reading one of the flyers when a hand rips it off the locker.

"Come on babe, you can read it in class... we're going to be late," Ryan says sweetly when my eyes accusingly sought the owner to the hand that ripped it from view. I nod and hurry along beside him.

Apparently, the school preps for the homecoming game all week – according to the flyer. I've never really participated in school festivities before but I think it might be fun. I'll have to ask Kate and Bentley what they think at lunch.

"Alright class, I'm going to pass out a packet explaining today's long lab. It is very important that you read the directions thoroughly and finish the set up by the end of class today or you will need to come back after school. The observations will be recorded on Monday since this experiment has a slow reaction time and the weekend is a perfect opportunity for it. Your laboratory stations will not be used in any other classes as this is the only advanced section so you may set everything up there." Mr. Monty was already done passing out the packets by the time he finished his speech and dismissed us from our seats to get started as soon as possible.

"There's a list of everything we need on the front page. Do you want to go through all the directions first or grab the supplies and then read over the packet?" Ryan asks.

"We should probably read over the directions first. That way we won't have to collect anything we won't need until Monday." He nods and smiles before turning his attention to the packet, reading it aloud. After spending five minutes reading the first few steps, we realize the list on the front is what we need and Monday is just pure observation of what had happened over the weekend so we run around and grab everything we need.