Chapter 111

RYAN'S POV

Becca sat and stared blankly ahead. She wasn't in her 'nightmare mode' yet but I knew it would only take a small tap for her to go over the edge. I turned to Will, my best bet at getting what she needed, and practically begged him to give her a much-needed time out from all of this.

"Just let her have something to eat after Dr. Gensler checks her out again. She'll be relaxed and then we can finish this discussion later. Please just give her a break." The two male officers seemed to converse back and forth without saying anything and finally Will nodded once.

"We'll give you two an hour but we have to finish this up after that Ryan. I know it's hard for both of you but it needs to get done."

"I understand. Thank you so much." I rose and shook hands with both men before turning back to Becca who was still zoned out and staring at nothing. She wasn't panicking yet so I don't even think she was reliving the past week – she was just tired and deserved a break. "Becs?"

"Yeah?" Her voice was so soft and she responded but didn't look in my direction. Sitting on her bed again, I took her hands in mine and waited for a bit before speaking again.

"Becs? Look at me baby." Her blue eyes seemed clouded over and dazed when they finally connected with my own. "We're going to take a break from talking to the officer's okay?"

"Okay. Yeah, I heard you ask them." She was acting so strange.

"Hey, what's wrong? Are you hurting?" I tried to think of all possible reasons why she was acting so out of it besides her memories pulling her down. She still had a lot of fresh injuries that hadn't had enough time to heal yet so maybe that was it.

"A little bit," her eyes finally cleared up and she smiled slightly. "Are we going to talk to Dr. Gensler now?"

"I'll page for a nurse. Hopefully he's free." I pushed the button near her bed and leaned down to kiss her temple. For some reason it almost seemed to surprise her.

"What can I help you with dear?" The same elderly nurse that helped get rid of the cops to calm Becca down was the first to arrive, followed shortly by Dr. Gensler. "Oh Doctor! You're here early!" The woman said lovingly.

"I was too excited to see the lovely Ms. Hanson this morning so I popped by sooner than usual," he said, dismissing the nurse and turning to Becca and me. "How are you feeling Becca?"

"I'm okay." I almost rolled my eyes at how nonchalant she was acting.

"The cops were questioning her earlier and her machines went nuts. They came in after she calmed down and I finally got them to let her have a break... can you like make them disappear?" Dr. Gensler chuckled at my ridiculous hopefulness.

"I'm afraid not Ryan but I can do a quick check up on Becca's charts and such. I'll try to go extra slow so they can't barge back in here. Does that sound good?"

"I'll take what I can get Doc." He smiled and reached for Becca's papers from the cabinet to study what had happened while he was gone.

"It does look like you had a little fit. What set it off? Was it just the policemen?" He acknowledged Becca with so much care that I knew she would be comfortable enough to speak with him directly.

"They tried to make Ryan leave," she said grumpily. The doctor gave me a little smirk before smiling at my beautiful girl.

"Ryan helps you stay calm, doesn't he?" She nodded gently as he wrote some notes on the pages in front of him. "I see Ms. Juliet already made note of that. She's the older nurse that treats everyone like they're her own children. It's real sweet but I know her patients affect her more because of it."