Chapter 106

LANDON'S POV

I could hear noise around me before I had the ability to open my eyes. I recognized Mason's deep voice mumbling quietly to Kate. They were talking about the television show that I could hear in the background – it was the Friends episode where Chandler is stuck in a box because he kissed Joey's girlfriend... There were no other noises in the cold room but I could feel something different.

The next thing to come was the pain. It shot from my chest down to my arm and back up in a repetitive motion. After squeezing my fist in hopes of easing the pain a bit, I flinched in surprise when a small, soft hand gripped mine and lightning bolts shot up my arm. They weren't painful; in fact, they completely covered whatever had hurt before. The little fingers played with my own and a delightful summery smell overcame my senses when soft hair tickled my cheek and a light kiss was placed on my forehead. Hot breath warmed my ear as the person leaned close to whisper so nobody else would hear.

"It's okay, Landon. It's Bentley." The lightning only grew more intense as she spoke to me. Her free hand brushed my short hair back gently. "I'm sorry that you're hurting. Can you hear me?" I tried everything in my power to answer this girl somehow, yet I couldn't move, open my eyes, or speak. "Please wake up Landon. I need you..." I still couldn't answer. She sighed and moved away but continued clutching my hand tightly. The only sounds were once again Mason and Kate watching television but now an occasional sniffle broke through – and it absolutely gutted me.

---

I woke up again, though I don't remember falling asleep, and snapped my eyes open immediately. Confusion filled my brain as I felt like I was in a daze.

I was in a hospital room? Wait, my arm hurts... I got shot? Yes, Kirk shot me. I was trying to get Becca... Becca! I practically whimpered when I tried to sit up and failed miserably. Suddenly, an unbelievably stunning girl flew at me from a little chair in the corner of the room.

"Landon! You're awake! Are you hurting? What do you need?" Her voice was so familiar – like I'd heard it in a dream. No... when I was asleep but awake at the same time. Unconscious?

"You're so beautiful," I rasped out only half aware of what I was saying. The girl blushed and tried to hide behind her dark brown hair. I know that I knew her, but I couldn't remember her name... Ben? No that's a boy's name... Benny? Still not right. "Bentley?" She immediately lit up and I could see her pretty face again, now filled with excitement.

"Yeah! It's Bentley! Are you okay?" Her hands caressed my face and pushed through my hair. I moaned because it felt so amazing.

"Geez take it easy over there bud! We're all in the room!" I snapped my head to a guy with a goofy smile. My brain seemed to hit a refresh button and I remembered him as Mason. His girlfriend Kate was right next to him.

"Leave him alone! He can do whatever he wants," she said. "You want us to leave Lan?" I found myself nodding and Bentley blushed.

"No, I just want to talk to her," I explained with a rough voice and Bentley jumped up to grab me a small glass of water from the counter nearby.

"Yeah, yeah," Mason said while talking Kate's hand and making his way towards the door. "Ryan's still with Becca but he wanted to let you know he'd be here if he could." I completely forgot but everything came rushing back to me at once... Becca missing, we traced her to a basement, Kirk shot me... Mason must have seen the worry in my eyes. "She's okay. Still asleep but got out of surgery before you did." I nodded and he left with a small smile after awkwardly saying: "Glad you're alright man."

"Here, take a drink. I'll hold it," Bentley whispered as soon as the couple left the room. She gingerly helped me sooth my throat with the cold liquid that I gulped down quickly. "Are you feeling okay? Do you need more medicine?" She almost jumped up to head towards the door to grab a nurse but I reached for her hand to keep her by me.