Chapter 80

REBECCA'S POV

I woke up Friday feeling completely at ease. Talking to Landon helped to clear my head and spending the rest of the day with Ryan and his wonderful surprise changed my mood. I decided that I'm going to push through this little funk of bad moods and enjoy the weekend – I mean it is homecoming after all.

I nudged Ryan awake and he smiled the second his squinted sleepy eyes met mine.

"Good morning gorgeous," he said with that gravelly voice he has after waking up. I peck his lips and revel in the moment... until he ruins it by tickling me. I'm immediately squealing.

"Ryan! Ouch, Ryan!" I yelped in between laughter with tears now streaming down my face. He was laughing so hard that I don't think he realized I was serious until he straddled me and saw that I was looking more in pain than having fun.

"Babe I'm sorry!" Ryan's hands stilled and he started wiping the tears from my face.

"No, it's just my muscles – they're so sore!" I giggled again after taking a huge breath and he seemed to relax knowing that he didn't actually hurt me.

"I'll shower first then but I'll save water alright?" I nod at his plan and snuggle back up in the warm blankets.

---

We walked into school about an hour later, hand in hand until we reached our locker. I had on the navy-blue jersey with Ryan's name proudly displayed across the back. It was chilly today so I borrowed one of Alex's UnderArmour long sleeves underneath and wore some leggings and Nikes. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do my hair this morning – or I should say that my arms were too weak to lift themselves for the amount of time it would take to do it – so I just let it air dry and I could do it cute later on. Kate invited Bentley and me to her house to get ready and Landon would meet us at her house after that.

"You look really pretty today hun," Ryan whispered nonchalantly in my ear right before chemistry began. He sent me a wink and then turned his full attention to Mr. Monty but I scooted myself closer to him and caught him smile.

All of our classes were shortened to half their normal time so the entire day was pretty much done by lunch so the school could host an assembly before the game. The classes flew by and the teachers realized that we weren't going to retain anything they taught us today so most of it was just slacking off. When lunch arrived, I met up with Ryan in the halls and walked to the cafeteria by his side – he'd been much more observant about when I was scared or nervous and needed someone close to me.

"Are you guys still coming over after school?" Kate excitedly asked Bentley and me from across the table.

"You betcha," was the only response out of Bentley, who seemed to be in a grumpy mood. I nudged Landon and basically jumped over his lap to switch spots with him so I could be next to her.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just frustrating that I seem invisible to him." I knew she was talking about Landon by the way her eyes flashed towards him and her voice got quiet so he wouldn't overhear.

"He sees you Bentley. Just give him time okay? I'm sure he will come to his senses." She rolled her eyes and threw a fry at my face with a small smile.

"Yeah, you're probably right. I just wish he would come to his senses a little freaking faster." We both started laughing and got weird looks from the others at our table.

Soon the assembly was starting and Ryan had to leave with Mason to take part in it which left the three of us girls with Landon. I wondered if he ever got sick of being the only guy half the time but since he usually kept to himself, I don't think he minded too much.