Chapter 90

RYAN'S POV

I was dead tired. I don't think I slept a single wink all night. Becca's night was restless but I'm glad I calmed her down enough so she at least some sleep; she's the one who needed it the most. Anyways, I drank about a gallon of coffee before leaving for school with another thermos full in my hand – it was going to be a long day...

Becca was quiet as she sat in the truck between Alex and me. She kept her hair down, covering most of her face, and dressed in an oversized sweatshirt she borrowed from me over her black leggings. I figured she was trying to be as shapeless as possible because of what that asshole texted her and the thought made me sick. She shouldn't have to hide away like this.

I held her hand in the halls as she silently followed me to our locker and then to Chemistry class. There were windows all along the wall of the classroom and I know she was wary of any first-floor windows, especially now, so I pulled her as close to me as possible to shield her from anyone that could be looking inside. Mr. Monty was strict about PDA in his classroom so I just wrapped an arm low around her waist so he couldn't see – I couldn't give a damn what my classmates behind me thought.

"Babe you're fine. I'll keep an eye out for you; just pay attention to class alright?" Now that she was caught up, I didn't want her to continue struggling in class. She was so smart and I knew the only reason she was getting less than perfect grades was because she was so nervous and couldn't concentrate.

I glanced outside occasionally but mostly kept my eyes trained on Becca. She seemed to loosen up a tiny bit and was taking great notes throughout the lecture. When class ended I walked her to English and saw Johnny leaning against the lockers, waiting for us.

"Hey," he smiled gently at Becca. "Landon told me that your friend, Bentley... I think? is sick today. I was going to sit in her spot but didn't want to be overbearing." Johnny was such a nice guy – it broke all the girls' hearts that he didn't 'bat for their team.'

"Okay," Becca said softly while gripping my hand tighter. She didn't really answer his question but I knew what she meant.

"Thanks, Johnny. I think it would make Becca feel a lot better if you took Bentley's seat today. She'll see you in there." He nodded once and retreated into the classroom to give Becca and me some privacy quick. "Have him walk you to art okay sweetheart?" She nodded and I kissed her twice before leaving to sprint to my own class.

REBECCA'S POV

Johnny was so nice during English and even though I didn't know him, his presence kept me calmer than I would have been sitting here alone. He shot me friendly glances every once in a while and offered to be my partner when we had to discuss what the previous chapters had been about in our Charles Dickens book. When the bell went off and I wasn't paying attention, my stupid nerves made me jump and I hit my elbow pretty hard on the desk behind me. While that kid was giving me a weird look, Johnny moved closer and gingerly grabbed my hand.

"Are you okay?" I couldn't do anything but nod as I blushed in embarrassment. "Good. What class do you have next?"

"Art."

"Let me walk you." He gestured in front of him so I would lead the way and followed me silently to Mrs. Locksmart's room, walking right in and waiting until Kate came in to greet me. "I'll see you later Becca."

"Thank you!" I managed to squeak out before he disappeared through the doorway. Kate mumbled under her breath something about Johnny being so hot but I just wasn't into blondes I guess...