Chapter 77

REBECCA'S POV

Landon's been kicking my ass for the past two hours and I think I'm close to death when he finally says we're done. I asked him one little question regarding Bentley and he'd taken out his frustrations on me, but I knew I pushed the idea too hard after he agreed to think about asking her to the dance so it was pretty much my fault.

"Remember to save the hot shower for tomorrow," he lectured while helping me into the idling truck where Ryan and Alex were waiting for me.

"Yeah, yeah. You remember..." I got cut off by his stern voice for the umpteenth time today.

"Yeah. I said I would think about it Becca." His grumpy tone made me smile now since he couldn't torture me in the gym anymore and he rolled his eyes before saying bye to Ryan and Alex and slamming the truck door.

"What was that about?" Ryan asked immediately and pecked my sweaty cheek.

"Nothing." I smiled to myself but quickly became nervous as we neared the Bradley's home.

Alex bounded into the house the second we parked by the curb but I sat frozen.

"Becs," Ryan unbuckled me and tugged on my hand to get my attention. "He isn't here babe. Let's get you inside and we'll re-arm all the alarms alright?" I nodded and let him lead me into the big house while my eyes darted to every possible spot where a grown man could be hiding. When the door shut behind me and a code was punched into a white box near the staircase, I relaxed somewhat but remained a little tense.

"Mason's going to bring over our stuff from Kate's a little later okay?" I jumped at his voice and turned in surprise before nodding. "Becs, please relax hunny. Remember what we talked about at lunch?" I nod again and Ryan swept me into a tight hug. "I love you. You're completely safe in this house." After taking a deep breath, I calmed down exponentially in his arms and finally returned his hug.

"You kind of smell," I said jokingly and he burst out laughing.

"So do you sweetness. Want to save some water?" Ryan wiggled his eyebrows at what he was insinuating but that only earned him a playful slap on the shoulder from me. "I thought so. You go first babe." He grabbed the backpack and gym bag from my arms and followed me up the stairs saying something about the view.

---

"This is the code to disarm the alarm in case you accidentally set it off. If you forget, my mom wrote it on the pack of this picture," Alex grabbed a family photo off the wall near the entrance and the code was written in black sharpie as a backup. He pointed to some small circles on the door frame and continued: "these are in every doorway of the house and will trip the alarm, but the police aren't called unless the alarm goes off for a solid three minutes so you have a little bit of leeway in case it was accidental. The windows all have new lock mechanisms as a back up to the originals and even if they are opened slightly, the secondary lock will catch before a person would be able to fit through them." Alex had been walking me around the house and showing me all the upgrades to the security system in hopes of making me feel better while Ryan was in the shower. I did add a little bit of extra safety but I was still nervous about being here when Kirk could easily find me.

We saved the kitchen for last so we could pop a pizza in and grab some drinks before heading to the living room. I think getting back into something so mundane and routine would help calm my nerves so Alex flips on Friends on Netflix and chills with me until Ryan finishes his shower.

"I'm thinking of asking Hannah to homecoming," he mentions quietly.

"Who's Hannah? Wait, your secret girlfriend's name is Hannah?!?" I instantly forget about my solemn mood and turn to Alex overjoyed.