Chapter 16

"Are you sure you're up for school this morning? You know you can always
stay home today if you want" Mom said to me "You've earned it"

"Like I've earned back the
right to start driving my brand new car to school?" I asked holding out my palm to her. "I'm to be rewarded right? Successful mission equal anything I want for the week"

"You're right but the rewards has a limit, don't forget that" mom responded as she hand me the keys to my car.

It was about time. I hadn't been allowed to drive ever since my accident where I fractured my wrist and the fact that I had received a brand new car and it had been sitting in the garage for so long and me not being able to drive it was actually driving me crazy.

"And the right to a new phone. I seriously can't believe Roger shot my old phone all because I got a call on my way back" I said in irritation "The mission was complete for heaven sakes, who the hell does he think he is..."

"Your superior" mom responded.

"My superior?" I scoffed "The hell he is, I don't care if he was the President himself, he had no right to destroy my freaking phone. What if it was an urgent matter and I got that call? It isn't like it rang during the mission and I answered it. We were coming home"

"I understand, he really didn't have to do that but I heard that you were still being debriefed" Mom said to me "To me I'd probably overlook that and bypass it but to people like them they see it as disrespect. He overdid it, I agree so I had also got you a new phone but you looked yourself away yesterday so I couldn't tell you that"

"I'm sorry about that, its just that I was upset and... Saturday night... What I did... I didn't think it would be like that after you know..." I said to her hoping she'd understand.

"It was hard I know, but you have to know that you did the right thing. You stopped a threat to society, help get justice for the people who suffered by their hands" Mom said to me.

"I know, and I'm glad I did it.  But it's still a bit hard to...you know come to terms with. I always knew that I would have to do this but I never thought I would feel like this" I confessed to her.

"Cassie, its always going to be hard taking out someone for the first time but trust me, it gets better" Mom said to me "Soon you'll feel a sense of fulfillment knowing that you're helping to save someone or rid society of bad energy. The guilt is not something that lingers around forever"

"I guess so, I know that this feeling will pass but that's not the only thing I'm worried about" I said to her.

"Then what is?" Mom asked me.

"The strangest thing that I have a concern about is the fact that I actually feel a need to do it again"

****
"Class, I'm going to be giving you an assignment. I know most of you hate assignments and even worst- group assignment" Mrs. Malcolm informed us.

Groans and murmurs could be heard all around the classroom.

"Miss, come on. Nooo"

"Noooo. Not a group work"

"Just great"

"Why does it have to be group assignment?"

"I hate group work"

"I always end up doing the assignment by myself"