Chapter 24

"Oh my gosh, Cassandra.  You look so much like your mother" my grandaunt Inez gushed after the memorial service had ended "I know that I told you this before and like every year but I just can't stop saying it. The more you grow the more you look like Cas"

"Hi Cassie, look how much you've grown" my cousin Alisha squealed as she pulled me into a tight hug. "You're taller than me now, and you look exactly like Cas. And you still have that lovely mass of hair"

"I was just telling her the very same thing" Aunt Inez smiled.

"So, how's New York?" Alisha asked me.

"New York is great so far. I actually like it there and I've met a couple friends so..." I trailed off smiling.

"Start making the boys go crazy over you as yet?" Alisha asked.

"Don't ask her about any boys... Cassie stay in school and focus on achieving an excellent education before you start thinking about boys alright?" Aunt Inez said to me "Boys are just pure trouble"

"Mom please, you know it's modern time now. Almost every girl starts being attracted to boys and having boyfriends even before thirteen, they just probably hide it well from us adults. Isn't that right Cassie?" Alisha asked me.

"I don't... I mean I wouldn't know" I responded.

"Its okay Cassie I know these things. And you're seventeen now, you'll be considered an adult in a year so you can't tell me that you haven't caught the eyes of some guy... Oh...happy belated birthday by the way" Alisha said to me.

"Thanks Lish" I smiled.

"Oh, I almost forgot about that. I have something for you when we go by the house you hear" Aunt Inez said touching me on the shoulder "I see Laura, I'm going to have a word word with her and that nephew in law of mine. See you back at the house okay?"

"Yeah OK aunt Inez" I responded as she walked off.

"Now that we get rid of her, we can finally have some real girl talk" Alisha chuckled causing me to laugh as well. "So Cassie, any boyfriend yet or should I say potential boyfriend considering you just move to New York... Well unless you move fast..."

"No I don't have a boyfriend yet" I said shaking my head.

"But?" Alisha pressed with a sneaky smile.

"But there's this one guy that I like. And he wants to take me on a date when we get back so maybe after that, then we'll see how things go" I responded.

"Aww, what's his name?" Alisha asked excitedly.

"Tyler" I responded with a smile.

"Does he go to your school? Are you guys the same age or is he older?"
Alisha asked.

"Yeah, he's in my class" I replied.

"That's great. Nothing sweeter than young love" Alisha said to me "A piece of advice though Cassie, if you and Tyler do get serious... Please try to always remember to be safe. I don't think you'd want to be a teenage Mom like I was"

"What? No, no definitely not. Besides I wasn't even planning to do anything with Tyler... Right now we're just friends and I don't want to..."

"That's what I said too until somehow I ended up being pregnant with Omar at 16" Alisha responded.

Omar was a my cousin who was about two years older than I.

"I remembered when I
was around your age, and your mother Cas, was still around the young guys in town used to go crazy for us. Especially Cas, she was older than
Laura and I and let's be honest more mature and what you'd call sexy" Alisha told me causing me to smile.