PROLOGUE

Things were different.

Way too different.

A Sunday morning as they say, the fun filled special weekend, spending time with family, hanging out with friends, catching up for dinner and the endless list.

But for her, it was slightly different.

Actually, a lot.

She looked outside the window, her eyes habituated of the cloudy, drizzling weather of this town.

At least five years back, she never thought life would land her here, in this mystic yet tranquil town of Verman Hills, in some remote corner of the United States.

Life as she used to know it, seemed to be officially over.

Her dad died when she was 9. And since then, it had only been about her, her younger sister Jasmine and her mother Adrienne Vermount.

Ever since the past 6 months, her Sunday mornings had been about following the same schedule.

Waking up at 6, going for a morning walk, eating cereals with her family at the dining table for breakfast, a few minutes in solitude and finally off to work.

Working at the county's most recognized Printing Press wasn't not a bad catch. Just that at times, it could bore the hell out of you.

She was just an intern though, but still she was paid for it. At least, paid enough to keep a 17 years 11 months old like her contended.

If things went well, then perhaps in two months, God would be kind enough to let her bag the latest collection of summer designs from the Riverside Mall, for her 16 years old silly sibling, who was a profound fashion victim, at the same time a rude, spoilt brat.

And if, if God could be extra kind, then who knows, she might manage to get admission in Southeastern Verman College!

But that would be too much to ask for.

She knew she had screwed up her entrance tests and screwed upwould be an understatement.

She had profoundly thought English was her strength, but that notion vanished into thin air the moment she had seen the test paper.

Reason?

Perhaps her ultra-nervous mind at that moment. In other words, panic!

She didn't want to recall how badly she messed up writing the critical analysis for Milton's 'Paradise Lost.'

No, she never wanted to recall it.

The results were due next month, August to be precise, and that would be the last thing she would want to witness.

'It had to be on 17th August?'

For one last time, she wanted to rejoice the fact of getting her driver's license on her 18th birthday, but wait a minute! When had life ever been decent to her?

The result day had to coincide with her birthday!

Not that she had made some extravagant plans but..

Nothing.

Laughing at her own antics, she splashed the water on her face.

Another new day.

Rubbing the towel on her face softly, she took the silver chain in her hand, adjusting the pendant in it.

She tenderly wore it on her neck.

It had always accompanied her.

Ever since she realized she was a living being, maybe.

Her mother said it was her grandmother's.

She wasn't fortunate enough to see her with literal sense of maturity, as she passed away two years after she was born.

But this belonging of hers had always inculcated a feeling of serenity in her mind, making her feel, somewhat powerful.

Against all the odds.

Was it too special?

Yes.

But only because of the special person it belonged to.

Else, it was just a silver chain, with a tiny red pendant.'

She thought.

Combing her long wavy hair, she quickly bent down to wear her sneakers.

Her mind was conspicuously occupied with thoughts, random ones.

Fixing her hair into a long thick pony tail, she draped her favorite black shrug over her shoulders, took her purse and headed downstairs.

It was just another day.

But little did Khushi Elise Vermount know that her life was going to turn upside down, and this was just the beginning.

**