CHAPTER 4

The Nightmares

As you run from the phantoms of terror, you end up falling in a quick sand.

Struggling hard against the grip of that strong hold, what is it?

A win or a fall?

**

As she stepped into the lush green garden, she could hear the birds chirping.

The rhymes of the Blue Jays felt extraordinarily good to her ears.

It seemed, as if after ages of melancholia, a ray of euphoria marked its entry in her life.

Dressed in purple, she wore her favorite white ballerinas.

As she walked through the heavenly place, she witnessed the exquisite roses. Their fragrance building in an expanse of loveliness in the air and their presence making everything look so hunky dory.

And then there were the bright blossoming daisies, their beautiful petals screaming the word "perfection" to the hilt.

And finally came the butterflies! What a delightful sight it was! To see them bud into the most beautiful entities from their primal phases as caterpillars and then fly high, spreading the vibrancy and positivity like no other.

.

.

She was lost. She was mesmerized by the breathtaking beauty all around. It was surreal, and for a second she wished to pinch herself to ensure that whatever she was seeing wasn't a dream.

But it indeed wasn't.

Everything was beyond beautiful, beyond ordinary. It changed everything for her the right way, because the abstract around her made her feel like absconding everything and living in this zone, this arena, which was lovely, calm, serene, and everything a living soul could ask for.

But as she took another step, she found an abrupt change.

.

.

The silence pricked her like a sharp knife.

The chirping, the breezes, the fragrances- she could find zilch.

As if all of it that she was loving thoroughly and enjoying moments ago, never really existed in the first place. Whatever was pleasing to her eyes was now hell bent on piercing her from within.

She could suddenly feel her body going stiff, and her hands clenching into fists on their own accord.

.

With a lump in her throat, she shut her eyes tight.

Waiting for the nightmare to be over.

Trying to gather some strength, her fists held the sides of her purple dress tightly.

.

She slowly opened her eyes, and discovered the flock of birds flying in a particular direction in the sky, as if some danger was approaching, and they were too afraid to witness it.

The moment instantly reminded her of a similar nuance that took place that day in the cemetery, when she was visiting her father's grave on his death anniversary.

The happy chirping was completely gone now, as the wave of melancholy hit the ambience, as if warning of an impending storm that would wreck havoc everywhere.