CHAPTER 40: The Uncanny Reunion

They ask you to wish for something you want a little too much,

But they also ask you to be careful what you wish for.

But what happens when a wish is made, every day and every night, for 100 years?

Does it get finally granted or that same wish makes everyone pay a dangerous price?

*

Khushi curled her fingers into tight fists as the newly learnt information began making an impact on her. An impact so strong, that neither did she feel any tears form in her eyes, nor her heart pound in fear like it was some moments ago.

She counted the letters backwards as she looked straight into his eyes.

Aloysius' eyes.

She knew this was it.

The moment she had waited for all this while, the moment that could either make her go back today and lead the life she always wanted or be forever encrypted in this same haunted palace in the shadows of darkness.

She clenched her jaw as she watched the man standing in front of her, in the body of Aaron Sciarrone, study her closely, making her heart clench, unaware of what was going to come for her now, but she made none of it reflect on her face as she stood quietly, waiting for him to make a move.

.

.

And so, he did.

He stepped forward, closing the distance between them, while Khushi only prayed fervently that he didn't do anything that she didn't want him to do.

But beggars could barely be choosers, and here she was to set her free along with her friends and family. If needed she could literally beg for their lives, and so when he came closer to her, she couldn't move away, but she didn't let her courage dwindle either.

And as Aloysius lifted his hand, his fingers only less than an inch away from touching the hood of her sweatshirt to let her hair fall open, she lifted her hand and touched the fabric of the hood tightly, making him stop in his tracks, as he looked at her, and smirked.

.

.

''None of my spells are working here! We will starve to death if we don't find a way out!''

Victor vehemently muttered to himself as he set out to find the others, each side of the castle looking like the same spot he had left moments ago, making him feel ensnared in a loop, a time warp, where everything was constantly repeating time and again.

''I hope they are safe.''

He wished silently as he lost no purpose or the will to find his friends, screaming out loud, so that he could hear at least something in return,

''ARNAV!''

''EZRA!!''

''AMY!!''

''EMMANUEL!''

''KHUSHI!''

''AARON!''

He took each of their names, but all that greeted him back was only the echo of his own voice that resonated repeatedly.

.

.

''Do you know how difficult it was, to see your face, your eyes, your lips, every feature of yours, every day, yet pretend to not know you since ages?''