CHAPTER 17

A Mirror

The ones who have red on their ledger,

Are always haunted by the past

The new age can only suppress the marks

But their repercussions shall always last.

The brutal and the beauty,

In tandem, they wreaked havoc

The consequence has to be borne now,

As the ocean hits the rocks.

Can there be an escapade?

Can there be a way?

Can the vicious and vile be exorcised after all?

Can there ever be a real new day?

.

.

As she walked through the woods, in search of what she was seeking, in quench of satiating her hunger for knowledge, she knew that her body would give up any minute. She hardly had any stamina left, but she was way too adamant on finding her answers.

After all, for how long could she sustain with all that she had, her prowess, her powers, her knowledge. There was a world that had all of it in abundance, and while she had a great hold on that by now, she was still way, way far from mastering it, like a human body masters breathing.

While she continued walking, using both her hands to draw away the bushes and haze that the dense forests possessed, a peculiar sound stopped her in her tracks and made her alert. She didn't have the power to fight any unceremonious battle right now, because come what may, she had to make it to her destination, to find what she needed, before dawn arrived. But the sound that came out of nowhere made her flinch, and she immediately darted her eyes at all the directions.

Clutching the bracelet on her wrist with her other hand, she exhaled a deep breath, and the fog only intensified as she took another step ahead and the sound only got more prominent.

She wasn't scared, but she definitely was nervous.

The cold winds made her long auburn curly hair sway, making her scent reverberate in the chilling air all around, while with every cautious step that she took, the uninvited yet inviting sound in that eerie silent night only became clearer.

The spells were embedded in her mind, but sometimes, she might need a lot more than that, and whether she was prepared for it or not, she really didn't have any answer to that.

Biting her lower lip, she tried to muster all her courage to circumvent whatever hindrance she could possibly meet this night, when all of a sudden she was halted at her steps, seeing the sight in front of her.

.

.

The sound got clearer and so did the vision.

A vision that made her rush to the other direction immediately.

As she narrowed her eyes, clenching her fists, seeing the little, frail form in front of her, all she could do was get close to the little soul, who was whimpering in pain.

'Hey, hey, little girl! Look at me, look at me. What happened to you?''

She said urgently, looking at the fragile body of the six-year old girl, who was wincing in pain, and had blood oozing out from a merciless wound on her right hand.