CHAPTER 38: The Night Before the Battle

You should want something insanely enough, for you to break all bounds.

You live or die, it shan't count, since what shall be remembered forevermore, will be how hard you tried, to get what you wanted.

*

A lot had been on stake for Khushi ever since she turned 18.

She had learned about a world that she thought existed only in books and movies, and known of monsters, she thought were only people's figments of imagination earlier.

But all of it was unfortunately true, and she too had her own reality to guard and embrace.

Embrace, she had, long ago, ever since her world was turned upside down and her life, her family was threatened. She was novice but not a fool and she knew that even hell could break loose but she wouldn't give up protecting the ones she cared about.

Last night she had taken a decision, not ruled by impulse, but driven by will and this morning at the Sciarrone Mansion, against all odds she had convinced everyone of her decision, including her possessive boyfriend, her devil, Arnav Sciarrone Ray, who had reluctantly agreed to let her do what she wanted, but with the condition that he was going to accompany her.

Well, she had to agree.

She was not left with a choice.

But a small part of her constantly sang in choir with unknown voices from within that even if she did expect this to be simple, wherein she just handed over the bracelet to Aloysius, it was not actually going to be the end of it.

And now as she sat quietly on her bed, in her cozy room, with a list of books along with Amelia's grimoire opened, she let her mind drift to the real reason she actually made that decision.

She couldn't deny but a little corner of her heart had constantly prompted her to conspicuously believe that regardless of what history existed and whatever the Avizhas wanted, Aloysius was not going to cause her any harm.

Yes, she did laugh at herself to even think of a word called ''honour'' from a vicious and wicked person like Aloysius, but one flash of all the moments he spent with her as Mason in all these months, wherein they were not always surrounded by people and were alone too, she distinctly remembered that he had never harmed her.

She knew Aloysius had a twisted personality and whatever little she had learnt of him from resources available, she knew that he was always treated as an abomination to their kind, since his magic killed his own parents followed by his foster parents, and such was the magnitude of his dark magic, that he had also wiped off an entire village, the roots of his own origin, resulting in bloodshed.

Whatever he did after joining the Avizhas came much later.

He also know that he was the one who had killed Meredith, possibly because of her betrayal for the immortality spell, and hence, that's where Khushi's otherwise well established theory became dubious.

''If he didn't kill me or hurt me because I resemble Meredith and he possibly loved her, then why did he even kill her?''

She repeated to herself yet again, but a part of her told her, that maybe the reason was as simple as him being a man of words and since she betrayed him, regardless of his love, he killed her.

''And maybe he did regret it much later after attaining immortality and thus, couldn't kill you, since your face is a thorough replica of Meredith.''

Her conscience told her and for a change, Khushi got to halt her race of thoughts, since the theory actually began making sense.

Immortality is after all too long.