CHAPTER 2

The Uncanny Encounter

When the dark clouds take over the sky.. When your mind refuses to answer any question.. When the going gets too tough for one..

What do you do?

**

"SCAMMER GROUP?"

Her eyes failed to fathom her own mistake.

"What were you thinking Miss. Vermount?"

Khushi heard Mr. Jones shouting on the top of his voice. For a second, it was hard for her to grasp what was going on.

Never in her life had she witnessed anyone shouting at her, not this way.

But then there is a "first time" to everything.

And today, she wasn't a newbie to this feeling of being shouted at anymore.

.

.

"I'm sorry sir, I.. I.. didn't intend to do it"

It was tough for her to gather words, assimilate them and make it sound as convincing as possible for she knew how wrong she was and it was thoroughly her fault.

She was assigned a responsibility and she had failed in fulfilling it.

As they say, life gives us ample chances to change our way of action but sometimes, that's not enough. We often tend to go back and in retrospect realize there are a plethora of things we have done that we shouldn't have done.

Khushi's scenario was no different.

Had she come back yesterday, and notified Kevin about the three files, this wouldn't have happened.

She messed it up once again.

She had created a vital rule for herself long back, during her initial days at work- Never to mingle her personal problems with that of anything official.

Unfortunately, she had never succeeded in following her own resolutions.

And thinking of the same, she sighed.

*

She saw many eyes gazing at her, as her superior continued to shower her with his words of tantrums and anger.

Khushi took it all without a flinch, because if not anything else, she was most definitely a true sport. If she did commit a mistake, she was sure as hell she would bear the brunt of it.

And she knew it very well in this case that the mistake was too big to be royally ignored.

Having Sciarrone Group's name wrongly published as Scammer Group in today's edition?

You gotta be kidding!

She again shut her eyes closed, ashamed at her stupidity and yesterday's wrongdoings.

Feeling embarrassed would have been an understatement.

Just when she had thought things were finally going in the right direction and everything was back on track, this bomb had to be dropped!

Why can't God show me some mercy?'

She questioned inwardly.

As Mr. Jones went on with some more of his, she stood there still taking it all.