The First Fight

Steve spent the day in small missions and helping in the operational sector of the new Tower of Avengers. He checked his cell phone a few times, waiting for some message from Natasha.

Before the accident she used to send him messages all the time. The message contained no texts, only emotes and it was usually the ";-)" just to say that she was thinking about him at that moment.

Natasha didn't send messages all day, Steve was disappointed. He knows she doesn't remember any of it, but it still hurts. And he couldn't even hug her yet, it was very difficult this situation.

At the end of the day, Steve decided to call Natasha to see if she was done working at SHIELD, but she didn't answer. Steve figured she was still busy.

Steve picks up the kids at school whenever is possible, but when he's working, it's harder, so he hired a nanny to pick the kids and to stay with them until he gets home.

Steve drove straight home, he tried to call Natasha once more as he got out of the car. No one answered the call.

Steve arrived at the apartment and as soon as he came in, James came running like a rocket for him.

J: Dad, let's play horseback!

- Mr. Rogers, I'm sorry for the rush, but I have to go.

The nanny approached with Sarah in her lap. Steve picked Sarah up.

S: Alright, Cindy. Thank you. At the weekend, I paid the rest.

Cindy: No problem. Bye, children.

Cindy went away, and James was still waiting, wanting to play. Sarah was already sleepy, and with a pacifier in her mouth, she laid her head on Steve's shoulder. Steve ran his hand over her back.

S: James, give me a minute, I'm going to put Sarah in bed and I need to take a shower first too.

Sarah: Daddy, where's mama?

S: She's working, but she'll be home soon.

Steve put Sarah in her bed and covered her. Steve pulled the pacifier from her mouth.

S: I think you're pretty big for that.

Sarah didn't smile, she looked serious, and looked more tired than the usual. Steve noticed something different about her. Sarah coughed a little.

Sarah: I want my mommy.

S: She's coming home soon, baby.

Sarah: She's not.

S: Of course she is. Go to sleep a little bit, that when she arrives, I'll wake you up to see her.

Sarah: Promise?

S: I promise.

Steve put his finger on the tip of her nose and she smiled a little, turned to the side, and slept. Steve left her bedroom and closed the door.

It was weird the silence that was in the apartment, Steve went to check James in the living room and saw James sleeping on the couch. Steve smiled and picked him up.

J: Dad? Dad, let's play.

S: Let's go, James.

Steve stroked James' back and he went back to sleep. Steve put him on the bed and turned out the lights.

When Steve was leaving the bedroom, James called him.

J: Dad?

Steve looked at him from the doorway.