Twenty: Obstacle Race

"Welcome everyone to the freshman stage of the festival!" Midnight, the 18+ hero says walking across the stage in the middle of the huge arena. In one hand is a whip, in the other her microphone. "Let's get this show on the road! Player rep! Bakugou Katsuki of Class 1-A!" Midnight points in our direction with her whip. Midoriya seems to freak out at her words.

    "Eeehhhhhhhhhhh?! Our representative is Kaachan?!"

    "He did place first in the entrance exam." Sero reminds him.

    "Yeah, the heroics entrance exam." Someone from another class scoffs.

    "Sensei." Baka-gou greets Midnight as he makes his way on the stage. He clears his throat, stuffs his hands in his pockets and glares over the freshman class. "I'm gonna place first." He says almost calmly.

   "What the hell Katsuki?!" Hakai screams.
   "Aw, man! I knew he was gonna-!" Eijirou grabs fist fulls oh his hair in frustration. People around me could hear a hiss slowly get louder coming from me.

   "Damn brat..."
The entire freshman class soon erupted in loud boos and lame insults, causing my irritation to grow ever so slightly.

   "Why do you insist on lowering our good graces?!" Iida shouts.

   "Don't push your luck, Class 1-A!"

   "Sludge Fucker!"

   "You'll all make fantastic stepping stones, I'm sure," Baka-gou says moving his thumb across his throat like a knife.
'This guy...'
I cross my arms and groan. After his little spiel, Bakugou made his way back to Hakai and looked back up at Midnight.

   "All right, with that, we can move on to our preliminary round. This year's first event will be...The Obstacle Race!" With that, the entire crowd erupts in loud cheering. "This will be a race between all eleven classes. The course is a four-kilometer ring around the stadium." 'Four kilos...I'm not gonna make it...Dad, if you are watching this somewhere, I hate you for passing this onto me...'

   Everyone is then moved to a large gate at the beginning of the course. Everything goes here, so I'd better keep my eyes peeled and ready for paralyzing. Let's see how long I can go before I can't go anymore...'

   "Let's get cracking ladies and gentlemen! On your marks..." 'Hmm, maybe I could get out of running somehow...' "Get set..." 'Who here is big enough..or dumb enough..' "Go!"
As soon as it was called, everyone tried to scramble through the gate. I quickly shimmied past people and made it through right as Hakai busted a beam with her quirk. I take a quick glance around and notice a super tall, square guy and I leap onto his shoulders, somehow without him even noticing. I lay low as he runs to catch up with Todoroki, who was currently leading the whole group. Suddenly, the guy under me freezes.

   "What the hell?!" He shouts. I look down to see his feet frozen to the ground. 'Damn it Todoroki..' I jump off his shoulders and start to zig-zag across the ice to keep my footing. "Where the hell did she come from?!"

   "Thanks for the ride!" I shout with a smirk. 'Less running for me!' I look back in front for me to see giant bots.

   "They're sicking bots on us too?!" Hakai shouts.

   "Those are the zero pointers from the exam!" I shout back.

   "Hold on, you're telling me the heroics department kids had to fight those things?!" Someone from the other department shouts in terror. Todoroki instantly freezes a group of the bots and heads past. Hakai has the bright idea to blow one up and have it crumble down toward everyone. "Damn it Hakai!" I duck past falling things and dive under another be for leaping up and grabbing hold of someone's shoulders. 'Good thing my instincts kicked in...It won't be long before he notices me though. Shouji has some great detection skills...' When he makes it on top of all the bots,  I jump off him and approach the next obstacle. It was a series of pillars attached to each other by ropes. 'This'll be hella easy.'

   "Now this is my kinda challenge," I say grinning before running across the ropes as if they were a sidewalk. 'Another one down. One left.' I catch a strong smell of gun powder and other explosives. "Shit. It's a minefield..." I follow my tongue and go left against the wall of the field. It'll be slower, but safer. I'd rather not get blown to bits. When I'm about halfway through, I hear a loud explosion and look up to see Midoriya flying over Bakugou, Hakai, and Todoroki on a piece of sheet metal. "The hell?!" Then another boom went off. Hakai had used her quirk to shoot across the finish line and take fifth place. "Ah, screw it!" I shout going across the field as fast as I could. When I finally make it across, Present Mic announces that I came in twelfth, which I can barely process before collapsing on the ground in exhaustion. 'Damn...It all caught up to me at once...I guess the adrenaline helped with the running a bit...'

   "Taya?! Are you okay?!" Someone shouts at me. I nod my head and sit up.

   "Yeah, I'll be fine."