Thirty-six: Practical(?) Exam

"Sooooooo, the practical exam is gonna be the same as the entrance exam?" I ask with a yawn. After the finals, I was exhausted. Who knew studying for a test was so tiring? 

"That's what I've heard," Eijirou responded as we made our way to where exams were being held. "I'm excited to see if I can score higher than what I did before!" I playfully rolled my eyes at his childishness before bumping into his arm with my own. When he looks at me with raised eyebrows, I stick my tongue out at him playfully.

We were surprised when all of the faculty and staff were stood in front of us. I looked at Eijirou in confusion only to be met with a shrug. 

"It is entirely possible to fail this exam, so if you want to attend the summer training camp, don't mess this up." Aizawa greeted us with his usual monotone voice. I raise an eyebrow at his words. The training camp he was talking about has had everyone excited (even Bakugou, though he refuses to admit it) since it was first announced. Now that there's a chance of failure, some people's faces showed worry. "Knowing you guys, you've probably asked around, and you might think you have a vague idea of how this will go. However..." Suddenly, the principle emerges from underneath Aizawa's scarf to finish his announcement.

"Due to various circumstances, the exam format has been revised this year."

"A revision?" 'How does this happen all the time? We all say the same thing together..' Everyone gasps.

"From now on, we'll focus on battles against flesh-and-blood opponents. It is critical that our teaching stimulates practical experience as closely as possible. As such, you students will be pairing up and fighting one of the teachers you see here!" Nedzu begins to crawl down Aizawa after he finishes his announcement. Aizawa then pulls out a sheet of paper that must have some sort of list on it.

"Your student-teacher pairings have already been decided. Your battle moves, your grades, your friendships with one another... all these factors and more were considered, so without further ado..."

"Wait!" Denki shouts. "We have an odd number." 'Oh yeah, ever since that Yukimura girl arrived, we've been odd.'

"Yeah! And..." Mina points at the teachers before continuing, "there's too many of us and not enough of you!" 

"We're aware of that. That's why we brought in some pros." Aizawa says unamused. 

"You have got to be kidding me." I groan as I see who they've brought.

"Hi, Darling! How's your day been so far?" my mother, dressed in her hero outfit, asks with a large grin. I roll my eyes at her and turn my attention back to Aizawa.

"Todoroki and Yayorozu are together against me. Next are Midoriya and Bakugou against-"

"AGAINST ME!" All Might shouts mightily. 

"Principle Nedzu vs Ashido and Kaminari, Thirteen vs Aoyama and Uraraka, Present Mic vs Jirou and Kouda, Ectoplasm vs Tokoyami and Asui, Midnight vs Sero and Mineta, Cementos vs Satou and Kirishima, and Power Roader vs Iida and Ojirou." All that's left now are the two pros and three students: Me, Hakai, and Yukimura.

"Odayaka and Yukimura will go against Endeavor." I frown and glance over at Hakai to see her and Yukimura looking at each other with what seems like a glance of preparation(?).

"And since we have an odd number, Hanzo will fight solo against Marina." I gasp and glare at our teacher. 

"Seriously?! You're going to make me fight my mother? By myself?! Aizawa, that's messed up!" Some students around me chuckle at my reaction and Aizawa just shrugs. 

"Each of you will take a bus to your designated fighting zone. Get together and strategize. Hanzo....strategize." I groan at him and cross my arms. 

"What am I gonna do?" 

"Don't worry, Taya. I'm sure you'll do great," Hakai says with a kind smile. I smile back at her and go to respond, but Yukimura pulls her away before I can. 

"Hakai, let's go. We need to strategize," she says. I send a small glare in her direction before walking over to Eijirou.

"Eijiiii I don't wanna fight my mom..." I complain and press my forehead on his shoulder. He turns to me and chuckles.

"If it's your mom, won't she go easy on you?" he asks taking my hand. 

"No."

"W-what do you mean?" He seems confused.

"She won't. Haven't you met my mother? She loves torturing me." I shudder at the last time I "trained" with her. 

"I'm sure you'll do great against her, Baby," he says with a smile and rubbing my hand with his thumb. "And that means I gotta pass too!" I laugh and kiss his cheek. 

"You've got this, Babe," I say with a smile.

"Taaaaaayaaaaa~." I groan when I hear my mother's voice. 

"I've gotta go. Good luck, Eiji. I lo-uh, I believe in you." I smile at him and run off, internally hitting myself for almost slipping. 

"Are you ready, Darling?" Mom asks with a smile.

"I guess. You aren't going to make me do anything crazy, are you?" Mom just giggles. "Oh no...Mom no. Please? Don't make me do that..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" 

After mom and I got off the bus, I look around where we were, already wanting to pass out. As I had thought, Mom was just going to make me run: my absolute least favorite thing. Ever. 

"Don't worry, Honey! It's only a mile!" 

"A MILE?!"