Chapter Twelve: Quinn

We sat around Jason's tv watching the late night news as He and Billy made microwave burritos. It was nice to be involved in their conversations as they talked about detention and school and other things I could relate to.
Usually at this time I would be held up in my room, nose in a book with my ear buds in. Tommy would be arguing with Steve and mom wouldn't have the strength to intercede. She'd have gotten off her third shift and be exhausted.
I tried to avoid that as much as I could. Especially if Tommy had a bad day. He could get very angry very quick.
"What about you Quinn?" Trini asked. Her grey beanie hid her dark hair and her yellow tee shirt hung low on her shoulders.
"About what?" I asked oblivious to the question asked.
"Tell is a bit about yourself." Kimberly answered. "And why the vibrant hair if you don't talk?" She point a finger at my hair.
I nervously ran a hand through my hair. "Oh. I... I have social anxiety. I thought dying my hair platinum would help get people to talk to me so I could work out my fear of talking to people but it just made them give me a wider berth."
"Oh." She purses her lips. "Well you don't have to worry here. We're all friends."
"Thanks for that." I smiled.
"Hey, guys." Billy came in. "Jason kinda broke the microwave-"
"I didn't break it!" Jason shouted from the kitchen.
"-So there's no food tonight."
The group groaned as Jason walked in. Kimberly picked up a pillow and tossed it a Jason. It hit him square in the face and he scowled. "Sorry guys."
"It's fine." Trini said stretching her slender arms. "I gotta get home anyway. Parents are probably worried that I fell off a bridge or something."
The rest of them laughed.
"Same. My mom probably needs some company." Zak said and walked out the door with Trini.
"I'll see you later Jason." Kimberly and Billy said as they left.
I got up to leave, grabbing my bag and sliding on my shoes. Jason looked at me as I threw my jacket over my shoulders and made my way to the door. "You need a ride?"
I looked at him and blushed a bit. "Oh no. It's fine. I don't live far."
"Better reason to get a ride. Less you have to walk." He blocked the door. "I'm not taking no for an answer."
I locked eyes with him. I could see him trying to exercise his authority over me. "Fine. It is pretty dark."
He smiled and moved so we could get out the door.

Jason pulled his truck to a stop just as Steve pulled in the driveway. His rusted old Cadillac was dirty and need to be repainted.
"Here you go." Jason said, grabbing my back for me as I opened the door and unbuckled my seat belt.
"Thanks." I took my bag and slid out of the passenger seat. "And thank you for inviting me over."
"No problem. You're part of the team now." He smiled. "By the way, do you think you could come by detention tomorrow, we could use a tutor and afterward we could all go over and train."
"Sounds like a plan." I nodded and closed the door. Jason pulled away and I shouldered my bag.
Steve stood at the door, beer bottle in hand.
I rolled my eyes. He glared menacingly at me. His eyes were bloodshot and watery. "Where were you?"
"Out." I answered. I pulled the beer bottle out of his hands and deposited it in the recycling bin I had set outside.
"I wasn't done with that!" He said grabbing my hair.
"It was empty!" I shouted back.
"Oh. You've gotta mouth on you tonight." He chuckled. "You were out there with your faggot friends weren't you." He laughed again. "If you had any."
I snapped. Literally. I snapped his wrist.
I don't know what came over me but I grabbed his wrist and pried his fingers off my hair. I took my other and hand snapped his wrist back.
He yowled in pain and cradled his wrist gingerly. "What the- you little punk!"
He charged at me but I slipped inside the door and locked him out. It would not hold long. Either he found the way to the back door in his drunken stupor or my mom got home and let him in. Either way I was gonna be gone by then.
I rushed upstairs and threw my bag on my bed. Tommy had already fallen asleep. He was curled up on his small mattress, knees in his chest fully clothed. Like the events of the day were too much and he just passed out.
I grabbed my duffle bag and filled it with clothes and school supplies. I tossed my laptop in and stuffed my phone in my pocket.
I opened the window slowly as my mom's headlights shone through the opposite window. I crept out onto the roof ledge and jumped into the grass.
My Power Ranger study session with Alpha Five and Zordon was about to begin.