Chapter Thirteen: Tommy

"Where'd he go!" Steve yelled in my ear. I just popped another spoon full of cereal in my mouth.
"Tommy please," my mom cooed. She was tired from the extra hours of work and looked like she was about to pass out. "He never can home."
"Then that makes him the smart one." I laughed.
"You think this is funny!" Steve said swiping my cereal of the table and shattering the ceramic bowl. I clenched the spoon in my hand, which easily crumpled to nothing but a hunk of metal.
"Steve, I'm about done with your shit." He knew what that meant, but it looked like his hangover was effecting his think because he continued to yell.
When I'd had enough and my boiling pint was finally reached, I shot out of my seat and grabbed his throat. My fingers clenched around his neck, tightening as I slammed him into the wall.
"Ever thought that maybe he left because he was done with your awful beer stained mouth? Because I know I am!" My mother was so shocked she didn't even reach for the phone, like she usually did when this sort of thing happened. Steve ripped at my fingers to no avail as my hand tightened. "Actually I'm thinking about getting out of here, as soon as I'm done breaking a few things, and I'll give you a hint, they aren't bowls."

I told my mom to go, find someone new, and she did. After all this time of trying to convince her how she could change, she had to loose her sons to realize what she'd done. I told her that he'd probably call the police if he came to so I had to go for a while, but I promised I'd find her. So, not even thinking, I ran for the old gold mine. The hills were where I felt safe. Hiking in the mountains surrounded by nature, nothing human to piss me off. Grabbing my pack and some of my belongings, I headed for the mine, not even think about school. I was one of the bad kids, they wouldn't notice if I was gone.

When I made it to the top of one of the rock hills, i decided to make camp. The sun was dipping into the horizon and a chill had started to ride the breeze. As soon as I set up my camp, darkness had surrounded angel grove. The sky was littered with stars and spot lights. Apparently Steve had called the cops. I could see the EMS that had arrived at my house. It's flashing lights almost gave me a headache even from here.
"Poor Thomas," Rita said, her voice calling from everywhere. It was a bit unnerving. "Look what you have done."
"He deserved it," I called back.
"I know my dear, but what have you gotten out of it? All alone, on a hill with nothing but some clothes and no friends. Not even your brother. He even saw you before he left."
"Then why didn't he tell me he was leaving?" I asked the wind.
"Maybe, he didn't want you to follow him. Maybe... he didn't trust you." She almost laughed as she said it.
"That's not true, he would have told me, I trust him with my life, and he trust me."
"Is that true Tommy? Do you truly believe that?"
"I-," I hesitated. Did he trust me? Why didn't he tell me he was leaving? Am I not that important to him?
"It's alright Tommy, we will figure this out... together." She laughed.