CANADA?!

It was the next day. I had just got to second period when I got a phone call.
Mrs. Jokian - Mr. Friar, you know the rules about cell phones
Lucas - I'm sorry, I'll turn it off.
I see that it's Madison calling. I put my phone on vibrate. We have a rule, if she calls more than twice, it's an emergency. When I felt the vibration of my phone for the third time, I knew something was wrong. I excuse myself from the class and go outside to call her back.

What's wrong?

What?

Are you sure?

Where are you?

I'll be there soon

Maddie?

Stay safe.

I can't believe what she did. I start to walk away from the school when I hear someone run up to me. Riley?
Riley - Is everything ok?
Lucas - what? Yeah, I just have to go
Riley - It's not even lunch yet, where are you going?
Lucas - Why do you care Riley?
Riley - Because you seem worried.
Lucas - I just have to go.
Riley - I heard your conversation. Is Madison okay?
Lucas - Riley I don't have time for this! I have to go.
I walk away, and get into my car. As I'm about to drive away? the door on the passenger side opens. Riley gets in.
Lucas - What are you doing?
Riley - I'm going with you
Lucas - You don't even know where I'm going.
Riley - If you keep arguing with me, it's just going to waste more of your time.
I stay silent for a while. I don't want her to come, but I do want her to come. She can't come, no I have to do this alone. Madison needs me. She needs me, why am I still here?
Lucas - Put your seatbelt on
We're in the car for about an hour, silence. Not even the radio is on. Just the windows half down. It was starting to get warm, that's my favorite kind of weather, so I like to have the windows down as much as I can.
Riley - So are you telling me where we're going?
Lucas - Brooklyn
Riley - Brooklyns like 10 minutes away from us, we've been driving for an hour
Lucas - it's a little bit further from Brooklyn
Riley looks at me confused
Lucas - Brooklyn, Baltimore.
Riley - MARYLAND?!
Lucas - Well not exactly. It's a little further from Maryland.
Riley - Lucas. Where are we going?
Lucas - Toronto
Riley - CANADA?!
Lucas - Hey, you were the one who got into my car voluntarily.
Riley - Because I thought we were going somewhere close, not somewhere that takes nine hours to get there! This is insane. What is Madison doing there?
Lucas - I don't know. She's in trouble, and I'm going to go get her, even though we're not
I cut myself off when I realize what I was about to say. The only person who knows that Madison and I are not related is Zay.
Riley - Even though you're not what?
Lucas - She's my sister, and I will do anything to protect her.
Riley - I can not believe we're going to freaking Canada. My parents are going to kill me.