Home

Present time / Lucas's POV
That morning was probably one of my favorite moments with Riley. She knew exactly what to say to make me feel better. I still hate myself for not kissing her. I see body movement from the corner of my eye. I quickly look over and Riley was opening her eyes. She had the seat laid back. She looks around, confused at first, but then she looks at me.
Riley - did I...
Lucas - Fall asleep after you told me you'd keep me company? Yes.
Riley - How long do we have? I can drive and you can sleep
Lucas - it's okay, we have about an hour left.
Riley - How many times did you drift off of the road?
Lucas - Only three time, luckily there were no cars around.
Riley - Hey look, the suns rising.
Lucas - Yeah, have you ever seen it pink?
Riley - No.
Lucas - Me neither.
Riley - I'm thinking about food.
Lucas - I'm thinking about sleep
Riley - Food and sleep sound perfect right now.
Lucas - Dennys? McDonald's? What do you want?
Riley - You.
What did she say?
Riley - I meant youuuuuuu choose...
Lucas - Oh. Well I just want to get home, so let's just go through the drive through at Mcdonalds.
Riley - Kk
The windows were rolled up. We had the radio playing in the background, not to loud but not to low.
Riley - Lucas?
Lucas - Yes.
Riley - these past couple of days, talking to you, they were really nice.
These past couple of days talking to you were freaking amazing. Of course I didn't say that.
Lucas - They really were.
Riley - I'm sorry about your sister. I'm sorry I made you leave.
Lucas - It's okay Riley. She does it a lot, I'll hear from her in a couple of days.
Hopefully
Riley - Wait. What's today's day?
Lucas - I think it's Thursday. Maybe Friday? I don't know Riley, I barely even know my own name right now.
Riley - damn it.
Lucas - What?
Riley - Im supposed to turn in my ideas for prom today.
Lucas - Oh you're on the committee for prom?
As if I didn't know already
Riley - yeah, it looked good on my college applications.
Lucas - What's the theme?
Riley - I do not know.
Lucas - I can see why you're starting to panic a little.
Riley - It's just, Prom is so over rated.
We stopped through the drive through at McDonalds and got some breakfast
Lucas - I thought you loved school dances.
Riley - I did. But as you grow up, you start to realize what matters and what doesn't. I mean what's the point. Someone spend 400 dollars on a dress they're going to wear for a couple of hours so they can take pictures and be on their phones all night instead of being in the moment? And the cost of getting pictures done is actually ridiculous. Plus what is up with people getting limos? And buying new cars? And shoes that they can barely walk in? Getting their hair and makeup done professionally? It's all so... lame.
Lucas - Riley?
Riley - What?
Lucas - You love all of those things. What's the real reason why you all of a sudden "hate" dances?
Riley - my mom lost her job. And the bakery doesn't really get a lot of business at times, so she thinks she may have to close it down.
Woah. Before we knew it, we were parked outside of Rileys apartment. It was 7 am.
Riley - Are you going to school today?
Lucas - Probably not, I'm exhausted.
Riley - Yeah you should get some sleep.
Lucas - you didn't finish telling me about your mom.
Riley - you should get some sleep Lucas. I'll see you later
She gets out of the car, and just like that she was gone. I guess things haven't changed, she still doesn't talk about things. I get home, my dads already at work, I go straight to my room and fall asleep.