Chapter 29: Tris - A New City

Chapter 29: Tris – A New City

We spend the next part of the trip in darkness, discussing how to use the broadcasts to find the Control Computer. As Anna told us, the rebels have already narrowed its location down to two buildings, so the first step is to determine which of those is the right one – assuming either is. Beyond that, we're hoping to figure out which floor the computer is on, or at least to get a general sense of where within the building it is. In a skyscraper, we'll never find it without that kind of starting point.

"I doubt the computer does the actual broadcasting," Tobias tells us. "It's more likely that it sends a signal to some type of projection equipment. So, we'll need to find the projector first and then trace it back to the computer."

"But wouldn't there be more than one projector?" I ask. "It seems like they'd need one for each direction they broadcast in, unless the equipment can project in all directions at once."

"No," Cara says thoughtfully, "that's very difficult to do. It's more likely they have four or more projectors that each cover a range. They probably also have boosters or re-broadcasters located around the country, to transmit the signal to more remote locations. It would be hard to reach the entire population from one set of projectors."

There's silence for a moment while we try to translate Cara's words into a course of action.

"But the projectors in Philadelphia would all be in the same building, right?" Uriah finally asks a bit timidly.

"Very probably," Cara answers. "It would make sense to rely on physical cables to connect the computer to the projectors. That would prevent the signal from being hacked."

I feel Tobias' nod against my hair. "That should help us locate the computer," he states. "The cabling would be a pain for something like that, so they probably put the computer right in the middle to make it easier. That means if we can locate several projectors, we'll have a pretty good idea where the computer is."

Christina laughs, though she doesn't sound amused. "So...instead of looking for one computer, we're looking for multiple projectors? That doesn't seem easier."

I chew my lip, thinking about that. "Would the projectors be visible from outside the building?" I finally ask. "Like on the roof or mounted on outside walls?"

"Maybe," Cara answers, "but there's no way to know for certain since we're not familiar with this technology. We'll have to see where everyone looks during the broadcasts and hope there's something discernible."

"What do we do if there isn't?" Uriah asks, sounding concerned now. "I mean, we only have two people who can hear the broadcasts. And we all have to stay within sight of one or the other of them, right? That means we can only look at two spots during each broadcast. It could take days to find multiple projectors."

There's a pause, and then Christina says in an uncharacteristically quiet voice, "Chicago doesn't have that much time."

There's silence as we all realize she's right.

"We'll have to split up," I state flatly. I can feel Tobias' arms tighten around me in the darkness, but I continue anyway. "We'll get a lot more information if we have the building surrounded during each broadcast. Plus, we'll be less noticeable if we're wandering around as individuals or couples instead of in a big group."

Pari sounds annoyed as she responds. "Normally, I'd agree, but not if you two are going to draw attention again."

Peter smirks, drawling, "Don't worry – I'm sure they won't start making out and miss a broadcast. Again."