Chapter 4: Tobias - Confrontation

Chapter 4: Tobias – Confrontation

Peter is sitting on his bed, with more emotion on his face than I've ever seen. He must have lost someone in the attack. I try to find some sympathy inside me for this boy who saved Tris' life, but all I can see is him holding her by the throat, dangling her over the chasm, and then opening his hands and letting her fall. I take a deep breath to clear the image.

"What?" he asks, looking up at me with his usual false innocence, and I grit my teeth even more. If he had any idea how much that expression reminds me of my father, he wouldn't dare wear it. Or maybe he would, just to irritate me. He is Peter, after all.

"I have a question for you," I say firmly, "and I suggest you answer it honestly. It'll be much easier for you that way."

He narrows his eyes and surveys me with a calculating look.

"The way I hear it," he comments, "you're a traitor. Seems like I'd be better off not helping you with anything."

"In that case, you should definitely answer my question, because the answer will probably cause me trouble."

He hesitates a moment, but I must have piqued his curiosity, because then he says, "Fine. What's the question?"

"Who helped you with Tris' heart monitor?"

Peter smiles, the greedy look of someone who knows his information is valuable.

"Hmm, well, as you know, I only help people if I owe them something or if they have something I want, and you and I are even. So, what are you going to give me?"

"How about the continued use of all your limbs?" I ask coldly, but he looks unfazed.

"Sure, go ahead and attack me in a room full of people you betrayed. Let's see how that goes."

For a few seconds, I glare at him, but I know he's right. This isn't the time or place to draw attention to myself.

"Fine," I snap. "What do you want?"

He thinks about this for an infuriatingly long time before saying, "Nothing you have to offer. So, I think I'll just hold onto that information for now and see if you come up with anything." He smiles, and my hands ball into fists automatically.

"In case you haven't noticed," I hiss, "my mother is in charge of the whole city right now. I can help you and your family." But his face twitches at the statement, and I realize I've said the wrong thing. With a sick feeling, I remember that he transferred from Candor. His family must have been activated by Jeanine, along with all the others, and we shot our way through them to get into this building. That's who he lost.

I draw back, evaluating Peter, trying to think of another approach. But his way of thinking is just too foreign to me, and nothing comes to mind.

"Have it your way," I snarl, turning toward the door. I'm going to have to try talking to Caleb again; perhaps I'll be able to read him better this time, now that I'm not so distracted by Tris' words.

But I must be more distracted than I realize, because I don't notice how the others in the room have shifted around me until I'm surrounded. They don't move to attack, but they form a menacing wall that blocks my exit. This isn't good.

And then Tori makes her way through them, limping heavily but looking even fiercer for it. She walks up to me, too close, and shoves me hard in the chest. I make no attempt to defend myself. Her blow is not undeserved, after all, and it's probably better if she gets it out of her system.

"I always knew you weren't a coward," she growls, "but I can't believe you're showing your face here after what you did. Or do you want to deny that you betrayed us all?" Her words stir a mixture of emotion in me, but anger wins out.