Chapter 12: Tobias - Leaving

Chapter 12: Tobias – Leaving

We follow Cara's lead, running when she does and walking as casually as possible the rest of the time. Whenever we pass people, we group ourselves to one side of the hallway, keeping the most recognizable of us blocked from view. Unfortunately, most of us are well known at this point, so it's not easy, but Zeke continues to draw people's attention as much as possible, and Peter, surprisingly, helps him.

I never know what to make of Peter, or how much to believe of what he says, but I doubt he's doing all this to help Caleb. It's more likely that he wants to leave the city and is using us as a convenient way to get there. The thought doesn't bother me – if it's true, at least we have a common goal for now, and Peter is most trustworthy when he wants something from us. Not that trustworthy is a term I'd ever use for him.

Caleb has the sense to stay quiet. I walk between him and Tris so she won't have to see him if she doesn't want to. She doesn't, of course, and she keeps her eyes focused ahead, watching for trouble. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Caleb sneaking furtive glances at her. He's probably hopeful that the rescue means she's forgiven him, as if these hallways aren't enough of a reminder why she shouldn't. Yesterday's conversation passes through my mind, and I consider breaking his leg to make it clear how we all feel. If I picked the spot carefully, he could still work his way across the rope….

As we near the ladder that leads to the roof, my thoughts shift, and it occurs to me how much we've endangered Zeke today. I pull him through a door on the left, and the others follow us into what turns out to be a lab. The equipment has been smashed, and the tables are pushed out of the neat lines I'm sure they were in a few days ago, but the sight still brings up unpleasant memories. I squash them down and turn to Zeke.

"Did that guard see you?" I demand.

Zeke shrugs. "I doubt it. He seemed pretty focused on you two," and his eyes flick between me and Tris. But his expression tells me he's lying, or at least that he's not sure he's right.

"You should come with us," I say firmly. "We're leaving the city, so we won't be able to help you if anything happens, and you could be in real danger if you stay here."

Zeke shakes his head, his expression far more serious than usual. "I can't, Four…not with Lynn gone. Shauna needs me, and I won't leave her." A weight sinks through my stomach. So many people died in the battle, and I don't even know about most of them. I hadn't realized Lynn was one. I think of how worried Shauna was about her little sister during initiation, and I understand how devastated she must be now.

For a moment, my eyes close in regret. I shouldn't have asked Zeke to help us today, wouldn't have if I'd known...but of course there was no real choice. I make a quick decision.

"Any chance there's paper and a pen in here?" I ask, glancing around the room.

Cara gives me a scathing look. "This is Erudite. Of course there is." And she opens a drawer on the nearest lab bench and hands me both, as if they're as readily available as air in this place.

I sit down and begin writing. I'm not good at this, but it needs to be done, so I write quickly.

Uriah walks over to Zeke, and I try not to listen as they say goodbye. On the other side of the room, Caleb is asking questions that Peter is answering, probably because no one else will. The thought of Peter being the friendliest person in the room distracts me for a moment, but I force myself to focus.

When I finish, I scan the letter briefly, fold it in thirds to hide its contents, and push it into Zeke's hands.

"If you get in trouble, give this to my mother. But only if you need to, because there's always a chance it'll make things worse." I give a half shrug. "We have a complicated relationship."