Chapter 45: Tris - Returning

Chapter 45: Tris – Returning

It's strange to see Chicago again. Anna warned me it would seem different – partly because my perspective has changed over the last year and partly because the city itself is no longer the same. Particularly with the restructuring of the factions. It took a long time to iron out the details around that, but doing so allowed the city to join our fledgling country. Chicago now has elected representatives and the same form of government as the rest of the United Citizens of America.

But the factions survived, in a form. They were too popular to eliminate completely, and eventually even Evelyn had to accept that. So, we worked out a compromise, one that removed the legal power but kept the social aspects. Basically, people are free to live together in communities, and they're free to explore a common interest or value however they want within those communities. But they can't make their own laws, and if they're above a certain size, they have to allow people to visit and to use their facilities and services.

The concept has worked well – so well that it's spread to the rest of the UCA. I suppose this is yet another impact of Tobias' broadcast. The people have thoroughly embraced the ideals of bravery, selflessness, intelligence, honesty, and kindness, so it's natural that they'd want to incorporate those values into every aspect of their lives. They added their own twist, though, by creating new factions that explore multiple virtues at once. Each one has its own name, but I tend to refer to them collectively as "Divergent factions." They've become popular in Chicago, too, particularly among the former factionless.

I see signs of this new way of life as we drive through Chicago, moving slowly down street after street. There are still clusters of matching colors in places, but they're interspersed with different shades, and I see many people adorned with mixes of various colors.

The Hub comes into view, and I can't help but remember the last time I was there, when I let my blood drop onto the sizzling coals. I was so frightened that day, so torn by what to do. I'm glad that sixteen-year-olds no longer have to make that type of choice.

We pass by the Erudite compound, which looks clean and alive again as crowds of people mill around it. Blue is still the dominant color here, but not in the forced way it used to be. It's good to see other colors mixed in – if nothing else, it eases the tension that still knots my stomach at the sight of this particular location. This will never be an easy place for me to see.

We continue north toward the Hancock building before turning west. I remember walking this route with Tobias those last two dangerous nights in the city before we left on our mission. It looks very different from in the car.

Adam makes a sharp turn, as if he almost missed a road, and I resist the urge to ask if he's sure he knows the way. It's still a struggle to trust people, but he's driven me enough times to deserve some respect, and Christina undoubtedly gave him good directions. So, I keep my silence.

We end up on Oak Street, driving past an eclectic mix of older and newer buildings made from a variety of different materials. This isn't a route I took regularly at any point in my life, but it still looks familiar. It's not until I see the building that I realize why. I only ever saw it at night, but I have no trouble recognizing the location of Tobias' factionless apartment. I'm not surprised when we pull up to the curb in front of it. Christina must not have realized I was ever here, or she would have mentioned that this is where they all live now.

I don't know if I like the thought of living here or not.

"This is it, Madam President," Adam says, stating the obvious.

"Thank you," I tell him quietly, my thoughts on a very different moment with a very different man. "But I'm not the president anymore. Remember?"

He shrugs. "You'll always be the president to me," he says with an almost shy smile. I try not to sigh. Personally, I'm delighted to finally be rid of that title. It was a happy day for me when our new government was solid enough for elected officials to assume all the power – and an even happier one when they stopped constantly seeking my help, and I could think about returning home.