Chapter 21: Tris - Unexpected Find

Chapter 21: Tris – Unexpected Find

We awaken to a blast of cold air mixing with Tobias' voice. "Everyone up!" he calls in his crisp instructor tone, and we jump to alertness instantly.

"We need to find a working gas station," he continues, "and the fastest way is to fan out on foot in all directions." He looks around, making sure he has our attention. "There shouldn't be anyone else here, but we'll carry our guns and travel in groups just in case."

He evaluates us for a moment before saying, "Lauren, can you take a group?" When she nods, he adds, "Take Marcus with you; he knows how to check the gas pumps. Uriah, and Lisa, you're with her. You'll be heading that way," and he points clearly to his left.

"Peter, Robert, Caleb, and Pari, you're going with Amar, that way," and he points to the right. "Tris, Christina, Cara, and Margot, you're with me, heading that way." This time, he gestures behind us. "The people in the SUV will form a fourth group that checks the stations ahead of us. Each group should travel no more than fifteen minutes, checking every station you pass. Then, if you haven't found anything, go over a block and come back along that road. This whole area uses a grid system, so you can pick a block in either direction. Check every pump at every station – we can use anything that functions."

He glances around to see if there are any questions and then states, "All right. Get guns and ammo." His face stern, he adds, "But be careful before shooting! You're much more likely to run into one of us than someone else, and I will not be amused if you shoot each other."

"Spoil-sport," Christina mutters under her breath, and I bite my tongue trying not to laugh.

We step out into the first light of dawn. We're in what's left of an old parking lot at one corner of an intersection. Trees have worked their way through the broken pavement in numerous places, but the roads are still visible. I shiver in the cold air, feeling the sharp edge even through my coat. The land all around us is flat, and the buildings look somewhat foreign. It's like our city and yet not.

The SUV is parked at the other end of the lot, and the four people we don't know stand with their backs to us, speaking with Amar and Marcus. I remember what Margot said last night, and realize they're probably not supposed to look at us if they can avoid it. After all, the less they know, the less they can reveal. As I watch, they head away, and Amar and Marcus walk over to join us.

Amar eyeballs the groups that Tobias formed. "Nice try, Fo – Tobias," he says with a bit of a laugh, "but Tris is with me. Peter, switch groups with her."

"What?" I demand immediately. I'm not sure if I'm annoyed because he's trying to split me apart from Tobias or because he's acting like he needs to protect me, as if I'm a helpless little girl.

He looks straight at me. "The entire point of this mission is to get one of you to the end," he says as he gestures between me and Tobias. "So, any time we split into groups, you two go different ways. It maximizes our odds. And when possible, Uriah does too, since he's your backup." I glance at Uriah in surprise, but the expression on his face shows this isn't news to him.

My response is simple. "No." When Amar raises an eyebrow, I elucidate a bit. "Tobias and I are a team. You get both of us, or neither."

"Fine," he answers without pause. "Then, you wait here. Get back in the van."

My eyes narrow coldly, but Amar doesn't look away. I don't know what to make of his expression – there's no anger in it, but I'm not sure I've ever seen someone look so unyielding. After a long pause, Tobias says quietly to me, "Just go with him. This isn't the time for a fight." I turn to him, staring disbelievingly. We agreed to stay together, and at the first opportunity, he's dropping that? Of course he is, I realize. As long as I'm safe, he doesn't think it's a problem. It apparently doesn't matter whether I know he's safe or not.