Chapter 31: Tris - Doctor's Office

Chapter 31: Tris – Doctor's Office

Strangely, the waiting room smells better than most of the city, even with so many screaming babies and frazzled parents packed into it. I suppose the underlying odor of bleach reduces the effect of dirty diapers mixed with body odor.

The receptionist informs us that the tetanus shot will be free, as all immunizations are. I manage not to smile visibly at the statement, but it confirms that the rebels are right. There must be a receiver in the vaccine or it wouldn't be free – the NUSA government doesn't seem to fund anything that doesn't benefit them directly.

As if to emphasize that, Amar has to pay up front for the other care my injuries will require. As I watch the cash change hands, I'm tempted to say I can do without treatment, but the receptionist makes it clear that's the only way I can see a doctor today.

While we wait, Amar keeps fingering his wedding ring, and George's matching one on his other hand. I know what he's thinking – we'll have to sell them to afford food if we can't wrap things up within the next couple of days. I hope it doesn't come to that.

But judging by how long we wait, it might. Dozens and dozens of children are called to the back and emerge again later while we sit. At some point, everyone stands for the first broadcast of the day, and we follow along dutifully. And then we wait some more.

When the nurse finally calls me into the back area, Amar and Pari come with me as if it's assumed they should. The nurse hesitates briefly, but we all act confident that we're supposed to stay together, and he quickly accepts their presence. It reminds me that confidence goes a long way in convincing people.

The examination room isn't much different than the ones I sat in every year as a child. A pang goes through me as I sit on the table and look at my fake family in the plastic chairs. My mother and Caleb were always with me growing up. Perhaps it's just as well my brother didn't come with me today; I don't think I could have handled that strong a reminder of Mom.

The nurse asks me a few questions before saying the doctor will be in soon. But "soon" seems to be a lie, because we end up waiting again. It's not as long this time as in the waiting room, but it's long enough to remind me how cold doctors' offices always are. At least I didn't have to change into a flimsy gown this time.

When the doctor finally comes in, she's clearly rushed. She asks a few brusque questions without really listening to the answers and then examines my wrist briefly – and not very gently – before concluding I have a minor sprain. She spends a little longer evaluating the cuts and bruises on my other hand.

"When was your last tetanus shot?" she asks, peering closely at me as if trying to determine my age.

"She's almost due for her twelve-year shot," Amar answers calmly, and the doctor nods.

"Well, let's go ahead and give you that today, then," she responds with the closest thing to a smile she's shown so far. "We certainly wouldn't want you getting lockjaw, now would we?"

I shake my head, trying my best to look like a somewhat frightened pre-teen.

After she leaves, the nurse comes back in to clean and bandage my cuts and to wrap my other wrist tightly. I have to admit it feels better that way. Then, he leads us to another room for my shot. That's encouraging, because it presumably means all the immunizations are stored together, and with three of us here, our odds of being able to steal some just improved dramatically.

We're certainly not the only ones in the room. We wait while several babies and small children receive their immunizations, each screaming loudly afterwards. Amar and Pari gradually make their way closer to the cabinet where the shots are stored, keeping their movements casual to avoid suspicion. By the time they're standing near it, I know what I need to do: create a distraction when I'm on the table.