Chapter 47: Tris - Reconnecting

Chapter 47: Tris – Reconnecting

Tobias holds my hand as we walk from his apartment to the dining room. He keeps stealing glances at me and grinning, as if he can't believe this is real. I understand the feeling. It does seem like a lot of the dreams I've had over the past year, and only the solidity of his presence reassures me that this is reality.

As we get close, I find my palms getting moist with nervousness. I've spoken with Christina pretty much every week while we've been apart, but I've had much less contact with the others, and it's a bit overwhelming to think about seeing them all at once. Particularly since I'll be walking in with Tobias, and I know that will instantly launch speculation about what's going on with us.

I remember separating just before entering the dining hall in Dauntless, back when we were trying to hide our relationship, and I debate doing that now. But Tobias grips my hand more firmly as we approach the doorway, and I realize he doesn't want to hide this. I suppose he's right. There's no reason to keep the truth from our friends.

Ultimately, though, it's hard to say if anyone notices our hands. The moment we enter the room, I'm greeted by a chorus of voices calling to me in welcome, followed immediately by those same people launching themselves toward me excitedly. It's almost impossible to distinguish individual words in the chaos, except for the common theme of my name being repeated loudly and enthusiastically, but the message is clear. They're all genuinely glad to see me. I can't help but smile in response.

Tobias releases my fingers and draws back a little to give the group enough space to surround me, and suddenly I'm hugging Zeke and then George and am leaning down to embrace Shauna in her wheelchair. Christina and Cara latch onto me, even though I saw them both earlier, and I'm vaguely surprised when Amar pulls me into his arms, holding me close for a long time before stepping back and saying, "Man, it's good to see you, Tris."

Uriah is the last to reach me, since he was the farthest away initially, but he throws his arms around me eagerly as if anxious to make up for being last. I don't hesitate to return the hug. But when he pulls back far enough to wink at Tobias and then leans in as if to kiss me, I yank away, startled. Uriah and Zeke burst into laughter simultaneously.

"Still with that death wish," Tobias growls, stepping forward to claim my hand again while glaring at Uriah. But there's an undertone of amusement in his voice that tells me the two of them have come to terms since the kiss.

Uriah throws his hands up in mock surrender, grinning at me. "Hey, don't worry. I'm not dumb. I picked up on your subtle signals last time." He looks Tobias straight in the eye and adds, "What can I say? She wants to marry me and have my babies."

Shauna snorts. "Yeah, as long as they're blue-eyed and have four fears," she says, her eyes on the hand I have linked with Tobias'. From her height in the wheelchair, I guess it's not surprising she noticed before the others did.

Christina is the first to follow her gaze. She smirks before commenting loudly, "That didn't take long."

I feel a blush working its way up my cheeks, but before I can respond, Zeke answers just as loudly, "And yet it's long overdue." He claps Tobias on the back in some mix of approval and congratulations while smiling at me.

There's a general chorus of agreement from the others, and as I look around, I realize that everyone here seems to be delighted to see Tobias and me together again, even the ones I wouldn't have expected to react that way. Uriah grins widely, with no trace of sadness or jealousy in his gaze, and Cara gives her trademark little smile, making her approval clear.

But Amar's reaction is the strongest. He beams like a proud father as he places one hand on Tobias' shoulder and the other on mine, looking back and forth between us. "Now, that's a sight for sore eyes," he says. He squeezes my shoulder lightly as he adds, "You two belong together."