Between Enemy Lines (Chapter 9)

Between Enemy Lines

Chapter Nine

Eliza was worried about Noah, she wasn't sure what all was wrong with Noah, but she did know that he had a really bad fever. Becky stayed with her for a little while, without thinking about it, she called Dean and Bray because they were both there for her when she needed them. She thought it would be best if someone stayed with Eliza since she couldn't stay. Noah had been fussy, and was pulling at the tubes, so the doctor had to put him to sleep. Eliza was on her own for a while and a doctor came and and told her what was wrong.

"Is he going to be ok?"

"It's tough to say, as young as he is, it's really serious when young kids get the flu. Of course it's always serious when you get the flu, but it's even more serious considering his age. "

"How bad is it?

"Well, it's good that you got him here when you did, if you waited, it could have been much worse. It's still a serious situation, he has about a fifty percent chance of pulling through this."

"Oh my God..."

"We will do all that we can. All we can do is wait and hope for the best."

Eliza didn't say anything, the doctor left the room. She went over to his bedside and sat close to him. She held his hand and kissed his head as she started crying.

"Come on baby... you have to get better. You've got to fight this."

Eliza held his hand and rubbed a hand through his hair. Becky had called Bray and Dean, Bray was the first one to show up. He came in and noticed Eliza crying and holding Noah's hand. Bray brought Noah a get well soon balloon and a small stuffed dinosaur, and flowers for Eliza. Eliza must not have noticed Bray come in because he set the flowers on a table and she didn't look in his direction. Finally, he spoke to her, getting her attention.

"Eliza?"

Eliza looked up and wiped the tears from her eyes. She let go of Noah's hand, ran up to Bray and hugged him.

"Bray... what are you doing here?"

"Becky called me, she told me that Noah was in the hospital. I wanted to come see how he was doing... and I wanted to be here for you... How is he?"

Eliza frowned and looked over at Noah.

"Not good Bray, the doctor said he has the flu. It's really bad for smaller kids to get the flu. It could have been worse if I didn't know about it until later, but... the doctor said Noah only has a fifty percent chance of pulling through... I... I don't know what to do Bray... I can't lose him."

Without thinking about it, Bray took her into his arms. She didn't seem to mind, she was more concerned about Noah than she was Bray getting too close.

"All we can really do is wait and see what happens... I know you may want to keep your distance a little, since we're not really labeled as anything, but you don't need to be alone right now."

"Thanks Bray."

It was quiet now as Bray tried to change the mood.

"Does Noah like stuffed animals?"

Eliza smiled slightly.

"Yeah, he loves them."

"I got him a little stuffed dinosaur... what kid doesn't love dinosaurs? I also got him a balloon. Kids love balloons."

Eliza looked over at the table and saw the balloon, dinosaur and flowers. Eliza smiled and walked over to the table.

"And the flowers?"