Between Enemy Lines (Chapter 31)

Between Enemy Lines

Chapter Thirty One

Bray and Becky had caught up to Eliza, they both called out to her hoping that they would get her attention. Eliza looked back at them for a moment and knew that if she didn't act quick, her attempt at suicide would be ruined. She started running along the side of the road towards the oncoming cars. Becky couldn't watch her best friend get killed, but wasn't about to run out in the middle of the road. Bray couldn't stand by and let Eliza go through with this. Eliza had given up, losing Noah was her breaking point, he had always been her reason to live. Eliza saw the headlights and heard the car horns and screeching of tires as they hit their brakes. Eliza knew the cars wouldn't stop in time asked she closed her eyes waiting for death to come and for her pain to finally be over. Instead of a car hitting her, she felt herself being pushed out of the way of traffic and into the grass. Bray was a lot faster than she thought, she knew that her attempt at suicide had been ruined, and she started crying, kicking and screaming at Bray.

"No!... Let me go Bray! I wanted to die!"

Eliza was struggling against him, but he was stronger and held her in his arms anyway and yelled at her in tears.

"Stop it Eliza!... Stop this right now! You can't do this to me!"

Becky had safely come across the street and Emiza knew it was pointless to struggle now. She finally stopped struggling against Bray and held onto him almost as tight as he was holding onto her. Both Bray and Eliza were crying now, Becky was just shocked and concerned about what almost happened. Bray held Eliza like she was the most precious thing in the world to him and spoke softly to her now.

"Don't do this Eliza... you're not alone... and you never will be again."

Eliza only cried as she held onto Bray. She realized that she was at the lowest point she could go, she had lost Noah, her whole world. She had wanted to avoid Bray, but here she was crying in his arms. Becky came up and gave her a hug from behind.

"You can't be doing stuff like that Eliza. I'm really really sorry that you lost Noah, and I wish there was something that I could do to help you, but I don't want to lose my best friend. Bray and I... we're here for you."

"I've got her Becky... could you please give us a moment alone? I have something that I have to explain to her."

"Sure... calm her down... have her call me when she calms down."

Becky gave Bray a serious look.

"Take care of her Bray... be good to her."

"I will..."

Becky hugged Eliza one more time before she walked away. Bray began rubbing her back hoping that it would help calm her down.

"Shh... calm down Eliza... I know this is a hard time for you right now, but Noah wouldn't want you to do this... he wouldn't want you to take your own life... he'd want you to be happy."

Eliza was upset now and pushed Bray away.

"How can I be happy?! This is your fault... yours and Dean's fault... If I had only followed my gut... If I had never met either of you, I... I would still have him with me."

Eliza broke down again and Bray took her in his arms again.

"I'm so so sorry Eliza... I never meant for any of this to happen. I feel so guilty about everything. You have to understand... I was in a fight with Dean... I would never hit you on purpose. Now you've lost Noah... maybe all of this could have been avoided if I had only told you the whole truth about my past. I was afraid... so afraid of scaring you away. The look on your face when you found out... only confirms my fear. I know... you must hate me and want nothing to do with me now, but please... you need to know the whole story."