The Game (DARC)

"And this," Cindy gestured to the door, "Will be your room."

She pushed open the door that led off from the darkened commons room.

She flicked on the lights and it illuminated a single white bed that was leveled with the floor, graffitied walled with curse words written in pen and scratched in, and a small three levels shelves built into the wall and a lockbox above it.

"Make yourself at home."

Ryan walked in, his arms crossed protectively across his chest.

The sound of a scraping chair caused him to jerk around and he found Cindy taking a seat in the doorway.

He looked at her in confusion, to which she whispered, "I'm your one-to-one until the morning shift, then Dave'll take over."

He tilted his head in what he hoped was a 'please explain' or at least a 'huh' gesture.

Cindy scooted forward more so the edge of the chair was partly in the doorframe.

"You probably don't know what that is, do you?"

Ryan shook his head 'no'.

"A one-to-one is a person who stays with arms length of you at all time until you're deemed safe enough. Everyone has a one-to-one when they first enter the hospital, save for some extremely special cases. You're on level orange until you're deemed safe enough. The levels are : red (a level you are put on if you try to harm yourself, others, or try to escape), Orange (basic safety concern and entry level), yellow (past entry level), green (dinning room privileges), and blue (privileged walks outside, best behavior, shows effort in getting better). You can have a one-to-one on any level, you can request one if you feel you can not be trusted to stay safe. However, you can not request to not have one, so sorry, but you're stuck with me 'till my shift ends." Cindy finished explaining.

Ryan paused before nodding his head in an 'okay' sort of gesture. He made his way over to the bed after turning the main light off. He sat on the bed, kicked off his shoes, and turned off the overhead bed light. He laid down and turned so he was facing the wall.

He covered his head.

"Ryan..." A voice called softly, and he heard footsteps approaching his bed. A hand nudged him, "Ryan, I'm sorry but you can't have your head covered."

Ryan pulled the blankets down off his face but didn't turn his head from facing the walls.

"Thank you." And the footsteps receded before the couch-like chair creaked.

He didn't get any sleep that night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day he woke to a scream.

After taking a moment to realize he was startled awake, and therefore fell asleep at some point, he looked out of his room to spot a table covered in breakfast foods waiting where it had been hidden in the shadows the previous night.

A small group of kids were grouped around the table, some grabbing oatmeal packets and pouring hot water while others sat in silence, quietly munching on a bagel or banana.

A baritone voice cleared his throat, and Ryan turned his focus to the doorframe, or more importantly, the burly man sitting in Cindy's chair.