Myrnin's or Oliver's Pet?

Pic: Myrnin

Pic: Myrnin

Chapter 4 - Myrnin's or Oliver's Pet?

"No! I could kill you!" he emphatically rejected the idea.

"Not if we do it correctly," I spoke firmly.

"Do it correctly? How many ways are there to 'do' it?" he narrowed his eyes.

I smiled a little at his slowness, my suggestion must have really stunned his senses. I nodded my head toward the blood draw equipment. Understanding lit his expression, but I could tell he still didn't want to put me through that as he hedged, "Okay...if it comes to that."

I reached to cup his face in my hands, so that I had his full and complete attention, and ordered him gently, "No. Now." I continued speaking over the fresh look of shock on his face, "We cannot risk your sanity and we will need to take the blood at regular intervals, so that my body has time to make more before you need it again."

I watched as emotions I had never seen and couldn't decipher, came and went, from his eyes. He struggled to speak, his lips beginning to form words, but then giving up, almost as if he was frustrated with their inadequacy. He finally uttered, "Why?"

"Because we are a team, and we will get through this together." I tried to make him understand.

"A team..."he murmured to himself as he stood to gather the equipment.

I held my arm out. "I think we should start with three pints."

"No...two," he spoke resolutely. I knew he wasn't backing down, so decided not to argue.

When the draw was complete, I tucked the bags into the refrigerator and made some notes on a nearby pad of paper, to remind me each time of the day we needed to repeat it. Myrnin had disappeared from my peripheral vision, but when I heard him speaking, I turned to see who he was talking to.

Oliver had come in silently and was now walking toward the center of the lab to inspect the testing. For once, he and Myrnin were not at each others throats. I was going to have to get used to that. I listened as they discussed suspects, motives and strategies. Oliver was never better than when he was at war. And right now, he was fully engaged into winning this battle for Amelie.

"Oliver, do you think this is related to...what happened to me?" I asked softly, afraid of the answer.

"While the circumstances appear to be completely unrelated, we cannot ignore the timing of the two events," Oliver replied frankly.

I nodded mutely, letting my thoughts wander about a possible connection. Oliver continued speaking to Myrnin. "We are working as quickly as possible to replenish the blood supply. Obviously you are at the top of the list, so can expect a delivery in-"

"No," I interrupted him.

Oliver looked over to me in surprise.

I continued, "We can't risk that. We still don't know how and why it happened. He needs to stay strong and lucid. Until this is resolved, he will have mine."