They Know

Chapter 45 – They Know

The SUV swerved violently. The tailspin was fierce. I clung to the seat. My fingernails dug deep into the now ruined leather, trying to keep myself in place. Please don't let us roll over. Please don't let us roll over, I prayed fervently. We would be sitting ducks if the SUV came to a stop, and I could not even begin to imagine what kind of firepower this threat came with.

After a few more quick aggressive counter maneuvers, the driver successfully pulled the edge-of-control vehicle back into a straight line. We careened forward at an obscene speed, but we were not safe yet. Not even close. I flinched as bullets continued to rain down. I didn't suspect the roof could hold out forever.

Both Myrnin and Gwion were talking viciously into their headsets, fluidly alternating between English and Welsh. I didn't need to understand the Welsh language, in order to recognize when they were cursing profusely.

Suddenly Myrnin yelled to Gwion, "Ten miles ahead!"

Gwion nodded once, his eyes blazing black with fury. He laced his body through the strap of the assault rifle and tossed it over his shoulder to rest against his back. His hands clutched the door. I knew that posture! He was getting ready to jump!

No!!! I wanted to scream at him; afraid there was no way he could avoid being hit, if he left the armored protection of the vehicle. But no sound released from my lips. My throat clenched tight with shock.

Myrnin grabbed my shoulders and forced me to look at him. "Claire, listen to me carefully! This vehicle can't outrun a helicopter. Our men are returning fire, but we don't have weapons strong enough to take out this threat completely. Their firepower appears to be centralized on our SUV, so we are going to split up. They can't follow all of us at the same time."

Stark fear ran through me. Apparently, Gwion was getting ready to bail and run. We were already vulnerable and now he was suggesting that all of our backup leave??

Suddenly, he slung his weapon over his shoulder, mimicking Gwion's behavior and pulled me to the opposite door. Confusion strangled my expression. Surely, he wasn't planning on us jumping as well!

Myrnin hissed, "We are going to reach a tunnel in a few minutes. At our current speed, the tunnel should prohibit the helicopters line-of-sight for less than five seconds, allowing us to switch vehicles undetected.

Oh shit! Shit! Shit!

I understood then. He did want me to jump. From one moving vehicle to another. While traveling at some insane speed! I had no idea how fast we were driving now, but it had to be close to 130 mph. And the jump had to be made within a window of only a few seconds to make the switch.

I sucked ragged breaths of air into my lungs, hoping the forced oxygen to my system would enable my body and mind to successfully complete this impossible task. My eyes were wide as the impending tunnel came into view.