I Don't Play Games

Chapter 11 – I Don't Play Games

My stomach dropped. Something was very wrong. Myrnin was already lifting me off the bar and went to get the door. Michael came in, his eyes looking between Myrnin and me. It was obvious he suspected something had been going on. If the guilt on my face didn't scream it, he only had to listen to my racing pulse.

"What happened," I asked tightly. Hell, we were nowhere near Morganville – was it too much to ask, for a shred of normalcy, instead of our usual daily dose of drama?

"She's sick. She's thrown up again. This can't be motion sickness. She told me to find you." Michael rushed.

I guess not.

We were moving then, headed to Michael's hotel room. My mind was spinning. There was something odd about the way Eve was intent on finding me. We're close, so it would be normal to want me by her side, but Eve wasn't faint-hearted, and certainly Michael was perfectly capable of holding back her hair should she need to wretch again.

When we reached the room, I rushed forward to Eve. She was curled up on the bed. She had scrubbed off all of her make-up and looked younger than I had ever seen her. She was looking at me strangely, like she wanted to say something but couldn't. I understood then and turned to Michael and Myrnin, "Okay, you two...shoo. I'll take care of her." I kept my voice light, not to reveal my increasing panic. Myrnin was looking at me intently. He wasn't buying my casual act; he could feel my emotions.

"But..." Michael began.

"No buts," I said firmly, hating to make him leave when he was so worried, but knowing it was necessary. I said softer, "Why don't you find her some ice and Ginger Ale."

He nodded silently, kissed Eve on the forehead and murmured, "I'll be back."

When they were gone, I turned back to Eve and waited. Tears crested her cheeks as she whispered, "I'm scared."

Scared? I wasn't expecting that answer. "Are you worried about being sick, honey?" I asked, trying to understand.

"I need you to go get me a...pregnancy test," she whispered.

My heart raced. Pregnant? There was no way she could be pregnant! How is that even possible?! I gathered my jumbled thoughts back together and forced a logical question to come out of my mouth, "How late are you?"

"Three weeks," she breathed.

I rubbed her arm comfortingly and asked, "Is that even possible?"

"I don't know," her voice broke.

"Shouldn't you tell Michael?" I urged. Oh shit, then another thought occurred to me. I looked at her with wide eyes and asked, "Is there a possibility it's not Michael's?"

"What?" she looked at me in shock, "Of course not!"

I crinkled my eyebrows. "But why then don't you want him to know?"

"Because I'm probably wrong. Before he was turned, he had always wanted to have children. I can't put him through that disappointment...if I am wrong," she pleaded with me to understand.

"Okay...it's okay...I'll go get it," I promised.

I made my way back down to the lobby. Somehow I was going to have to get a Taxi and find an all-night convenience store – while in a foreign country where I didn't speak the language. Yeah, no problem.

As I approached the front desk for assistance, I heard Michael call my name. I turned and saw he and Myrnin had just walked in and were headed back to the room. Michael looked at me questioningly. He had to suspect something. I spoke casually, "She's doing better. I'm going to run and grab her some medicine to calm down her belly." He examined my face carefully. I knew he didn't fully believe me. I added quickly, "I think she's just embarrassed," trying to account for Eve's unusual behavior. Michael nodded, seeming to accept that answer, and left to return to Eve.