Fix It

Chapter 44 – Fix It

Chapter 44 – Fix It

There were no words to describe my thrill in small comforts like finally having my ass covered and shoes on my feet. I emerged from the Walmart bathroom in a decidedly better mood. As we exited the store, the blistering wind swirled around me. I realized I probably should have grabbed a jacket to really make a convincing appearance of a normal human, but no matter, we would be back in the vehicle in a few more steps.

As we approached the car, I knew something was very wrong because both Gwion and Myrnin hissed furiously. Every nerve ending in my body stood at rigid attention, as I reached out with my new and improved senses to try to figure out what had them so riled up.

And then I knew.

Because there really could be no other option.

Ciro was gone!

My stomach lurched as Gwion popped the trunk and I had visual confirmation of my worst fear. I couldn't do this again! I couldn't live in fear, always looking over my shoulder. I knew Ciro had powerful chemicals that could bring even a vampire like Gwion down – or at least, that was what he claimed. A part of me wanted to reject the idea that a vampire as powerful as Gwion or Myrnin could ever be taken down like that, but I remembered the feeling of those chemicals in my system. And they had rendered me completely powerless.

I realized my entire body was shaking.

Myrnin tugged me quickly into the car and held me in his strong arms. Gwion appeared in the driver's seat and shifted hard, jerking the car into motion. We were accelerating down the highway within moments. I didn't understand why they were not going to look for Ciro. Not that I wanted to purposefully put myself anywhere closer to that bastard, but I was more worried about not knowing where he was.

Gwion spoke rapidly into an ear pierce; a fluid stream of Welsh words that I couldn't understand at all.

He must have been speaking to Myrnin as well because Myrnin suddenly reached to the front seat and pulled out a compact black laptop. He clicked it on and scanned through several pages as he responded in Welsh to Gwion.

An hour ago, I remembered thinking I would never get cold again. I was wrong. Because my body was now frigid with fear. My skin felt abandoned without Myrnin's solid arms wrapped around me. I fought my trembling while he was occupied helping Gwion.

Myrnin's phone vibrated. He quickly extracted it as though he were expecting the call. Skipping the normal pleasantries of a 'hello', he demanded instead, "How long?"

The information must have been acceptable, because Myrnin nodded his head, hung up and told Gwion, "Less than fifteen minutes."

Myrnin shut the laptop and settled back, gathering me into his arms again. I pushed my body as close as I could against his. Gwion was silent now and only focused on the road ahead of us.