The Rabbit Hole

Chapter 33– The Rabbit Hole

Oliver was already by Amelie's side when we arrived through the portal, to her home. I was relieved once again to see her up and around, instead of suffering from that horrible disease. Anger burned through me knowing the terrible deaths the other vampires had suffered. If Amelie had not been as strong as she was, she would have died as well. I just couldn't imagine Morganville without her.

Myrnin and I sat across from them in Amelie's living room. Oliver must have already brought her up to speed because her eyes were wary and calculating.

"She can't go with him," Oliver stated vehemently. Amelie placed a hand on his arm. I was struck by the volume of unspoken words her simple touch conveyed. "No! You are not going with that bastard," Oliver insisted.

"You know I don't have a choice," Amelie replied softly.

Oliver's face fell as he whispered in agony, "This is my fault. I never should have let him bite you."

"You know he would have let me die, if you didn't. He is only interested in claiming me because of my power. Without it, I am nothing to him," she reassured him. "However, all of it may be a moot point because I don't know yet, to what extent the disease stripped me of my strength."

I sucked in a deep breath. I didn't know the disease had diminished her like that. Amelie turned her cool eyes on me, as if noticing for the first time that I was in the room. Her gaze shifted to Myrnin and then to Myrnin's protective body position over me. I had no idea what she was thinking, but whatever it was, she apparently decided not to share it because she turned back to Oliver.

Myrnin contemplated next to me, "What if we could hide your powers, temporarily?" All eyes turned on him. He continued his thought, "If all Gwion is interested in is your power, we just need to convince him you no longer have it. That the disease stripped it from you."

Amelie sighed, "A lie is not sufficient. All he has to do is force me to use it."

"Yes, but that is assuming you still have it. What if you didn't?" Myrnin pressed. I blinked in confusion, completely lost, trying to figure out where he was going with this.

Amelie was eyeing Myrnin carefully. He stared back intently. It almost seemed as if they were having a silent conversation. I wondered what was being communicated. Oliver's impatience broke through, "Just spit it out, man! We don't have all night to interpret your mad ramblings."

"Clāmāre," Amelie murmured, already understanding where Myrnin was headed. He nodded slowly.

Clāmāre?! I thought in shock, trying to catch up to the conversation and asked quickly, "Wait! What?!"

Oliver interrupted, clearly as confused as me. "What the hell is Clāmāre?" he hissed.

"—and the recipient?" Amelie ignored both of us, addressing Myrnin again.

"Oliver," Myrnin answered quietly.

I understood what he was suggesting now and blushed, thinking about what would have to happen between Amelie and Oliver to transfer her power to him. Oliver slammed his fist down on the end table. It creaked and broke in half in response. "Somebody needs to tell me exactly what the hell you are talking about – now!"

Myrnin explained, "Clāmāre is a process where Amelie could transfer her powers to you, temporarily."

Oliver blinked wide as he understood, and then spoke, "If there is a way to do that, why are we waiting? Let's do it."

"No," Amelie firmly refused. I wondered if Oliver's multiple previous coups to take Amelie's power were the reason for her hesitation. He must have been thinking the same thing, because he spoke softly, "You know we are past that now." He gathered Amelie's hands in his and looked into her eyes with undisguised love and desire. I blushed at their private moment and looked away.