An Intimate Connection

Chapter 16 - An Intimate Connection

Myrnin's expression was furious with anger as he took my hand and led me out of the room. Liam - the nice vampire guard from before - met us at the door and seemed unaffected by Myrnin's hostile mood.

As we left the grand home and walked out into the night toward the guesthouse, Liam glanced at me and spoke with a smile in his voice. "You must be quite intriguing to influence him like you do." He nodded to Myrnin who was still fuming. "I can't say I have ever seen him quite like this before."

Since Myrnin didn't appear to want to join the conversation, my curiosity got the best of me and I asked tentatively, "How do you know him? And why aren't you afraid like everyone else?"

He nodded his head and acknowledged, "We met over three hundred years ago. I was transporting goods for my master, when I was ambushed by a convoy of thieves. They beat me mercilessly and left me for dead."

I inhaled sharply, at the mental picture of Liam lying in a pool of his own blood, on the verge of dying.

His eyes opened wider at my response and he murmured so quietly, I could barely make out the words, "You have a kind heart." Then he continued in a normal tone, "Even though I still breathed, I knew my life was forfeit because I had lost the valuables that my master entrusted me with. He was a cruel unforgiving man."

"And that was when Myrnin found me, broken and bleeding, just waiting for the sweet release of death. I knew he was not natural when I saw his crimson eyes. I had heard rumors and myths of creatures of the night, but never believed them until that moment. He offered me a choice. In exchange for my blood, he would make me immortal, powerful beyond measure. I didn't see the benefit of it as I had no place to return to, and amazingly, he also offered me this - a new home, complete with a large family," Liam nodded, indicating the world around us. I could see the affection he held in his eyes and I struggled to understand how he could be happy here, working for someone as harsh as Gwion. The crease in my forehead must have given away my confusion, because he continued, answering my unspoken question.

"Gwion is as fearsome as you found him to be, but he has been fair and good to me. But by no means, does that make him safe or innocent," he warned quickly. He seemed to want me to keep my guard up. There was no need for his precaution there, because I fully understood the dangers of Gwion. He was very much like Myrnin, but without compassion, which made for a ruthless combination.

I glanced at Myrnin. His expression was still stone cold, so my attention went back to Liam as I asked quietly, "Why do you not fear him, as it appears everyone else does?" I inclined my head toward Myrnin.

"He sired me," Liam replied simply. "It gave us a bond that he has with very few people. I am not sure if there are any others left alive."

I stared at him with wide eyes.

Liam spoke honestly, "I am not foolish enough to believe he would never hurt me or even destroy me, if he chose. The people here are correct in their fear of him. He has killed more than he has let live. His cruelty is second only to Gwion."

Shivers ran down my spine at this revelation and I stared at him in utter confusion. His words depicted a savage killer, but his emotion was affection.

He read my hesitation and questioned, "Have you seen his dark side?"

"Yes," I whispered. I had almost been on the receiving end of it many times.

Liam continued with a knowing smile, as he pointed out, "And yet, you appear to love him?"

I knew I couldn't deny the certainty of his words. "Yes," I acknowledged softly.