Challenges

Chapter 20 - Challenges

"So, have you reconsidered your refusal?" Gwion ask pleasantly, as if he hadn't just asked for my body as part of our arrangement.

I blinked.

Words seemed to have fled my vocabulary entirely.

He nodded, believing my silence was confirmation of my rejection. "It is a shame, little minx...I think I would have enjoyed you," he purred seductively. "No matter," he commented and walked back toward his desk.

I couldn't think straight, but I knew this didn't feel right. Before I could take it back, I murmured under my breath, "Yes."

Of course, he could hear me. Gwion spun to face me, his expression surprised, which immediately settled into lust.

I couldn't concentrate on Gwion however because Myrnin was in front of me, kneeling, gripping my arms tightly. "No!" his tone was wild, feral. I was scared at what would happen if I lost. I knew he wouldn't walk away from me, which meant a fight - one I wasn't sure he, Michael and Shane could win.

I brought my hands up to cup his face softly, trying to control my shaking. "I can do this," my voice trailed off. I pleaded with my eyes, trying to remind him that I was stronger than even he expected. He stood, his face a mask of fury, and walked back out of the circle.

Gwion approached me slowly. "You would risk so much?" he murmured, examining me again. He appeared to be trying to decide if I was currently lucid. I know I had my own doubts about my sanity right now as well. My choice was made. I couldn't focus on anything but manipulating the skills Myrnin had given me. I didn't answer Gwion.

He nodded and instantly my world changed.

xxxxxxxxxx

I stood by myself, confused. The night sky was profound, only pierced by a few stars. Something wasn't right...I knew it in my gut. But what was it? Suddenly, I was no longer alone. I could see the outline of a man, not quite hidden in the shadows of the trees.

"Who's there?" my voice shook a little. I cringed. I knew I shouldn't have let him see any glimpse of fear. I was going to have to do better if I wanted to outlive this unknown threat. Maybe, he wasn't a threat, I thought hopefully...he could be kind. But why then was he hiding?

My heart sunk when he stepped out from the trees. It was the angry guard we had met at the gate! He glared at me and began to advance slowly. I recognized his look - my heart took off beating in my chest - he wanted to take his time.

"Myrnin!" I screamed his name. But there was no response. Dread filled me when the vampire smiled cruelly.

I stopped, confused again. It didn't make sense. Why the hell wasn't Myrnin with me? I wouldn't have just wandered out into the night alone in a compound full of vampires!

The vampire stopped smiling and I could have sworn I saw his image flicker. I felt pain in my head. No, not pain...it was uncomfortable...invasive.

The vampire advanced slowly on me again, his image even brighter, stronger than before.

I didn't have time to feel fear, because suddenly, I felt myself lash out mentally at whatever was invading my mind, striking back. I shook my head and hissed, "No!"

Instantly, I was back in Gwion's study surrounded by the same group of curious spectators. Gwion stared at me in disbelief. I did it! I thought excitedly. I told him no. I waited while he studied me. I wondered what he was looking for.

xxxxxxxxxx

My world faded to black again. I blinked, trying to orient myself and was confused to find I was reclined on Gwion's red velvet couch.