Bloodlust

Music: 'Kill for You' by Skylar Grey

Chapter 53 – Bloodlust

We never made it to the hotel.

All I wanted was a hot bath to relax my over-exercised muscles and Myrnin's touch to make me forget all of my worries. Not that I was complaining. Pushing my body to the extreme had been exhilarating. I had quickly become addicted to and fed off of the endorphins crazily firing in my brain, like it was illegal contraband, until I felt like an engorged tick...Finally satiated. Ew...Now there's a mental picture. I shook my head to clear it.

Just as Myrnin was promising me an intimate evening with full disclosure of their plans, both he and Gwion spun around to face the door, their backs ramrod straight.

There was no doubt in my mind.

We were being ambushed.

And neither of them apparently expected it because both were cursing fluidly in Welsh. Time seemed to come to a screeching halt as I took inventory of our circumstances. Trystan and Dargan immediately flanked Myrnin and Gwion on either side, creating a bubble around Abby and me, as we stood in the middle of them. Abby was visibly shaking from head to toe. I wished I could comfort her; tell her everything was going to be okay, but I knew those words were a lie. We were far from okay and would probably be lucky to make it out with our lives, given Ciro's ample resources from a still unconfirmed benefactor. Gwion assumed it was Lucas, another bloodline vampire. Having spent a good bit of time with Gwion, I could not imagine anyone foolish enough to think they could defeat him.

It appeared his suspicions about Raven's loyalty were indeed accurate because she stepped through the door first. Her lithe frame and voluptuous features were a complete contradiction to the intensity of her expression. Her ebony tresses flared brazenly behind her, while her eyes raged furiously at Gwion. Shit, what had he done for her to have a complete alteration in her behavior? Because in this moment, there was no mistaking her hatred of him.

I wished I could see Gwion's expression, but he and Myrnin stood as a protective barrier in front of me.

Too bad their efforts were not going to keep me safe, I realized ominously, when Ciro appeared at her side. And more vampires than I could count, poured through the doors behind them. I inhaled sharply. Shit, there had to be over fifty of them. They spread out like cockroaches around us.

"This is an unusual turn of events, my dear," Gwion spoke smoothly, without a trace of concern in his voice.

"Really? What did you expect? Did you really think I would be just fine while you replaced the position I had earned with that slut?" she sneered.

The muscles in Myrnin's back rippled angrily.

I couldn't believe she just called me a slut?! That whore! Yeah, kind of a double standard. But I didn't care. I would be dead soon anyway.

Gwion replied coldly, "So that is what this is about? At what point in all of the time we were together, did I ever say I actually cared about you?"

Damn, that was harsh.

He continued relentlessly, "Did you go to Lucas and cry like a little bitch? Is that why he came after me? Gotta say, I'm surprised. I know you're not that good of a lay for him to put his life on the line. Does he even know his resources are being used to hunt me?"

She didn't answer his question. Her hands clenched into fists and her nostrils flared. Instead, she spat venomously, "You never should have played with me."

I didn't need to see Gwion's face to know he was smirking. He drawled, "You know I have no qualms over torturing a female. I enjoy it just as much as a male. So you better make damn sure they kill me. Otherwise you and I are going to play harder than you have ever played before."