Gwion's Lair

Chapter 15 - Gwion's Lair

Getting through security was simple. Myrnin only had to provide his name. The guard at the gate communicated the information into his ear pierce. I couldn't hear the response he received, and it wouldn't have really mattered if I could, because I assumed they were all speaking Welsh. But no matter the words, the guard's reaction was clear - instantly, he stood ridged and tense. He motioned for us to wait. I wondered who would be coming.

"They know you," I murmured in surprise.

"Yes," Myrnin replied tightly.

We weren't kept waiting long. Quite abruptly, three of the largest vampires I had ever seen joined us. They were all dressed similarly in black, with military style clothing and combat boots. I noticed they weren't carrying any weapons - at least that I could see.

The obvious leader welcomed Myrnin formally, not appearing to be overly affected by our presence. Myrnin nodded curtly in return, "Reuben."

However the two vampires, who flanked Reuben, had vastly different expressions. The vampire on the right had short spiked dark hair and almost black eyes. He glared at Myrnin. Then his attention cut to me and his countenance changed. I recognized it immediately - he wanted something from me. A few options came to mind, none of them good. I gripped Myrnin's hand tighter, my heart rate increasing.

Myrnin hadn't missed the vampire's overt reaction. He growled low and menacingly.

Reuben's body stiffened at Myrnin's sudden aggressiveness. He spun his head in the direction of the vampire leering at me. Instantly, the unruly guard aimed his attention straight ahead, purposefully ignoring me completely.

The vampire on the left, however, felt warm and inviting. He had blond hair that fell into his cobalt eyes, broad shoulders and powerful arms. He wasn't smiling, but there was a kindness in his expression. He almost looked eager to see us. I wondered what his history with Myrnin was.

We were escorted through a complex maze of hallways and corridors. A pattern of behavior quickly became apparent - everyone stared warily at us, backing away whenever possible. Was everyone this unfriendly here? I pondered over their odd mannerisms and then I understood. Of course.

"They're afraid of you," I breathed.

"Yes," he answered again shortly.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, and was startled to find his entire demeanor had changed. No longer was he the funny and mischievous scientist. Now, he was a ruthless, cold-blooded killer.

Reuben opened a set of tall heavy double doors and ushered us through. Myrnin continued to grip my hand tightly as we walked to the middle of the room and stood, waiting. When I glanced back, the three vampire guards were nowhere to be seen and we were alone.

I turned around slowly, taking in the eclectic opulence of the room. We stood in a large office or study. The ceiling reached up two stories, with a balcony bordering the entire room. My eyes roamed until I found an iron spiral staircase that led to the second floor balcony. There were several doors above and I wondered what mysteries lurked behind each of them.