Do You Want to Die Today?

Chapter 25 – Do You Want to Die Today?

The interior of Gwion's private jet lacked nothing in luxury and style. There were multiple rooms, all elegantly decorated with expensive furniture in shades of soothing neutrals, highlighted with black accents; along with the newest high-tech equipment. It was a long flight and I was hugely grateful to have all of the modern comforts.

I rested comfortably on a leather couch, curled against Myrnin's chest, while we waited for everyone to board. My mind wandered. "Myrnin, now that the challenge is over, what is the plan for these weird new features in my head? You made it sound temporary. Do they just wear off?" I asked, rolling my head to the side to look up at him.

"No, they have to be removed, but I have no intention of removing anything while you are still in proximity with Gwion."

"What is the process to remove them? Is it similar to Clāmāre?" Heat rushed through me at the thought.

He smirked, "No, nothing quite that intense, but I would have to bite you to draw them back out. It must be done carefully and slowly to make sure your body handles the extraction process."

Eve and Michael entered through the door, and settled across from us in plush recliners. Eve was glowing with happiness. I knew she also appreciated not being cramped into a tiny seat of a commercial plane. My heart twisted a little as I thought about Shane. He had preferred to get away from me, sooner rather than later, and had decided to fly back to Morganville separately. I couldn't argue with his choice. I knew it was excruciating for him to be around so many vampires. Of course, even if it had just been him and me alone on the flight, I think he would've made the same decision. I cringed slightly, guilt for his pain running through me again. I hoped that he would find someone new quickly.

Abruptly, Myrnin's posture stiffened. My heartbeat increased, my senses heightening, looking for the threat. It didn't take me long to find it. Gwion boarded and walked past us, further into the belly of the plane, to the adjoining room – along with Raven. Myrnin held me a little bit tighter, but it wasn't necessary, as neither acknowledged our presence as they passed by. I was thankful they were sitting in separate quarters. I certainly did not want to have to make small talk with Gwion and Raven for ten hours.

Last to board, were Liam and the dark guard from before, whose name I finally learned was Dargan. I smiled at Liam, but then shivered when Dargan glared at us. Myrnin let out a low warning growl, his eyes flashing crimson. I felt the muscles in his chest contract in preparation – and excitement – for the fight.

Dargan stopped and stared in challenge at Myrnin, his lips twisting into a menacing sneer.

My heart stopped.

Quite purposefully, Myrnin removed the arm that rested over my shoulders, and stood to his feet. "Do you want to die today?" he purred lethally, clearly ready and willing to make that happen.

"You wouldn't fight me with your pet so close," Dargan snidely replied.

Myrnin's lips turned into a wicked smile. "I think you may be shocked at what I am truly capable of."

From the corner of my eye, I realized that Gwion was standing in the doorway, watching them. I assumed he knew the extent of Myrnin's skills, and likely did not want his pretty little jet destroyed. Still, he made no move to intervene or say anything, so I couldn't be sure what was really going through his mind. Maybe it was just appreciation for the spectacle.

Dargan's glance cut to Gwion before resting back at Myrnin. He relaxed his stance and barked a humorless laugh, "I know exactly the extent of your darkness. Others may fear you, but I do not." His posture was defiant.