Girl Talk Confessions

Chapter 12 - Girl Talk Confessions

Shane jumped from the bed when I came into the room. His eyebrows were knitted together, worry touching his eyes as he asked, "What happened? Michael said you had to go to the store for Eve?! At this time of night?"

"Eve is pregnant," I answered.

Shane was rarely speechless. Quite the opposite in fact. Frequently, his razor-edged wit got him into trouble. He stood stock still. I think he assumed there was no way I could be serious, and was waiting for me to laugh. The longer I was silent, the more his face registered the truth.

"How?" he breathed.

I raised an eyebrow at him wryly.

"No. Of course, I get how," he added quickly. "What I mean is, how is that possible?"

I shook my head and whispered, "I don't know."

Suddenly, he changed the subject. "Did you think about it?" he asked intently, his voice tense.

I couldn't do this right now. I couldn't argue with him and I couldn't tell him about Myrnin - not right now. Instead, I murmured, "I told her I would come right back. I can't leave her alone."

His face fell.

"I'm sure they would like to see you," I told him, trying to lift his spirits.

A small smile crossed his face. "Okay...let's go," he agreed. I exhaled, thankful for a reprieve from our earlier conversation.

When we returned, Eve was nestled in Michael's lap, his expression a mix of overwhelming concern and joy. She climbed off of his lap and crawled over to me when I sat down on the edge of the bed. I hugged her again. She was positively glowing.

"Wow man, impressive," Shane shoved Michael's shoulder playfully.

Eve rolled her eyes with a grin and said playfully, "Leave it to you, to consider a baby proof of Michael's manhood."

Shane waggled his eyebrows. "In this situation, it is most definitely proof of Michael's manhood," he teased.

Eve blushed lightly.

Michael looked smug.

We talked for a few hours, laughing and joking about frivolous things. But as the time ticked by and Myrnin had not returned, my anxiety level increased exponentially. Finally, I couldn't take it any longer and asked, "Michael, could you check on Myrnin?"

Michael looked up at me in surprise.

"I don't think he was feeling well. He might need your help," I spoke pointedly. Myrnin hadn't fed in too long, which could be extremely dangerous to any number of people.

Understanding lit his expression. He looked at Eve. The love in his eyes was almost too intimate. I turned my head away from their private moment. "Will you be okay?" he breathed.

I was thankful Eve said yes, because I didn't think there was anything strong enough in this world to make him leave, if she had asked him to stay.

After Michael left, I looked at Shane, "Okay, your turn."

He looked confused.

"You have to go...so we can have girl talk. Go, get some sleep. We have a very long night ahead of us. You're going to need your strength."

"Oh, okay," he smiled at Eve, and then kissed me before walking out the door.

Immediately, Eve leveled a hard gaze at me and demanded, "Okay...spill."