CHAPTER TEN

I've been having problems with this stupid computer. A friend of mine tried to download something and now my computer is going haywire, I'm trying to get the thing fixed. Sorry for the delay. Here is the next chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybelline woke me up early in the morning by pulling back the curtains and letting the bright light shine through. I wasn't use to this, so I covered myself with a blanket. Then I had to listen to her rant and rant and rant until I got up, and we had to get dressed.

I had to get back into that awful corset. Maybelline had to help me into it. Pulling on the strings together to tighten the damn thing.

Mark and Caspian was nice when tightening the thing. She tightened it until I found it hard to breath, and when I told her she said, "Do not fret, child. It's doing its job."

So killing people was its job?

After I put on another dress, this time yellow with a sun hat to match. Which was a nice large sun hat that I might keep if I could, I walked outside where Amul stood. He followed me down the hallway and to the large stairs, Maybelline led me down the hallways and walked out into the verandah, the verandah was beautiful with light the light shining through and the chairs and table was white, the hangings, it led out to a large garden.

The family was there, sitting at the table. Rebecca, the mother, was sitting in an elegant position with her back straight. I was welcomed to an empty seat and I sat in it, thanks to the corset I couldn't bend my back. My posture was also perfect, and I was very uncomfortable.

She poured me some tea in a glass, and I grabbed it and, remembering the many movies I watched, I held the cup and gently drank it.

I wasn't used to hot sugarless tea, so swallowing took a lot of strength. And acting like it was a normal thing was not as easy and one would think.

Stefan and the stranger he spoke to last night stepped up, and when the stranger looked at me for the first time he paused. His gaze on me looked as if he was stricken by a unique sight, I gave him a "Can I help you?" Look. This wasn't acting, this was me being me.

He finally walked up, with a grin he spoke, "My name is Aaron DeGraw. A friend of your fathers."

I let him kiss my knuckled, thank goodness they had gloves on them. I didn't like being touched. "Hello, Mr. DeGraw. I'm sure you know about me."

"Your father has told me much about you," He chuckled, standing back straight. "You hold far more beauty than he described."

"Thank you," my giggle was fake. He didn't seem to notice.

"Do you mind taking a walk with me, Miss. Scarlatti?" He held out a hand for me.

Not wanting to break character, I nodded with a smile and placed my hand in his. He helped me out of my chair, and this was the first time that I noticed Amul was standing behind me the whole time.

He remained in his spot as Aaron and I walked down a small path to the garden, the garden had what looked like a pool. Instead it was filled with fish, I would saw it was a pond but this was bigger. Ponds were smaller.

The way he spoke to me, it seems that Victoria wrote letters to him as well. Or they had spoken before, he must have been her betrothed, from the way he spoke, and was speaking about their plans together after her father had agreed to allow them to marry.

In the middle of the conversation, I noticed my breathing was right. I couldn't take a breath, when I tried to corset didn't allow it, I froze next to the pond with my hand on my stomach.