CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Nothing was said during the ride in the carriage back home, the only noise heard was Mark's crying and having a small tantrum. Which wasn't new when it came to him, but unable to hear anymore I switched places with Amul and as he sat in the front, I held toddler in my lap and held him. His crying ceased and he placed his head on my shoulder as I held him, "You don't need to cry so much, Mark."

He gripped the fabric on my shoulders with a strong grip, "Momma cry."

I placed my small hand on his fragile head, kissing it. He raised his head and with his tiny hands placed them on my face to feel my cheeks and even my closed mouth. The very act melted my heart and I saw that his own tears started to cease and it was now curiosity. "Mouth," He said as he touched my lips.

I nodded with a smile, "Yes."

He moved his hand up to touch my nose, his smile wide from getting the previous question right, he giggled. "Eye!"

"No, Mark. That's my nose. If someone has an eye here they would be a freak."

Darnel laughed, moving to the seat beside me, "These are eyes, Mark," he placed his hands over his eyes.

Mark mimicked him and put his own hands over his small eyes, "Eyes."

I kissed his cheeks and giggled, "Such a brilliant little kid, you're so smart."

"Daddy, smart boy!" He shouted happily, clapping his hands together.

Caspian handed the reins to Amul to turn his head to look at the cheerful baby boy, giving him a handsome grin. "Of course yer are if yer my child."

I gently laughed, "Don't be so sure of yourself."

Amul let out a deep chuckle.

Bear randomly barked.

All the tears were quickly dried with Mark's cheerful laughter, bouncing in my lap joyfully.

It was all peaceful until...

"Ria!" The sounds of a galloping horse approached the carriage. When I turned my head to see who it was...

William, who was on the back of a horse, was trotting up to the low pacing carriage. "Ria, stop this carriage."

I turned my head and completely ignored him, but I heard him as he spoke out to Caspian, "Stop this carriage, I need to talk to her."

"She does not want to talk to yer," Caspian's voice was dark.

Mark saw William black horse, turning his head to look at Bear, pointing at the horse and smiling, "Mamma, see!" he looked at William's horse now. "Dog!"

"Shhh, Mark," I laid his head on my shoulder to calm him. "Not now."

"I need to speak to her," Now his words were pointed to me. "Ria, please stop this carriage and talk to me."

"You said plenty before."

"I am still not done, we need to talk. Please, give me five minutes."

I still remained silent, but knowing this man as much as I did he would keep following this carriage until it stopped. So minus well just give him the five minutes without having to deal with this the whole way...

I placed my hand on Caspian's shoulder and whispered, "Stop the carriage."

"No."

"Don't worry, it will only be for five minutes. Only five minutes," Once the carriage stopped I placed Mark down and stepped off, when Bear tried to follow I gave him a command to stay. William slowly got off his horse and, to get privacy for our conversation, we walked through the thick tallgrass and sat on a log plenty of feet away.