27. Carla Tsukinami x Marie Claire Violetta (OC) | Cold, But Not Alone

→ characters : Carla Tsukinami | Diabolik Lovers, Marie Claire Violetta | original character by Maria_Violetta_

→ requested by : Maria_Violetta_

→ 05032017

→ wherein carla's so unfortunately used to his obligations clinging to him, suffocating him on some evenings, like his ebony scarf. frankly, maria's terribly concerned, and she hopes she can retrieve her carla back without tangling anything further in the process.

[a/n]: wahhhh i'm terribly sorry if i wrongly interpreted carla and maria's characters! i don't know carla very well and i'm not very confident about my ability to write maria, so i pray that i've at least done something acceptable ^^'!

xx

As badly as Marie wanted to pretend she was alright, she wasn't. She was cold, cast against the piling hills of pure white almost mockingly the way she was dressed so lightly. She manages to laugh, joke, talk as casually as the irritating chatter of her teeth would permit, but when her lips close silently, she can feel her teeth tap against each other repetitively. They're hundreds of deep footprints away from the nearest coat, and Maria supposes that she owes it to Carla, since it was her idea after all.

Carla's quiet, only nodding to the louder, chatter-less phrases, sparing her brief sentences of words spiced with mild disinterest. Carla supposes he owes it to Maria to speak more frequently, because he catches each and every second her shoulders shiver from under her sweater.

Carla wants to bring her against his side, even if he's no warmer than the dots of snow that slowly tumble through the atmosphere, hoping his gesture is warm enough to compensate for his coldness, both the literal and the figurative. He wants to stop the tremble of her shoulders, because they almost appear frightened, almost as if they were looking for a notch to escape into. Carla's long decided that expression is only appropriate when worn on the faces of his hollow victims that are dressed more in heavy, noisy, rusting chains than the comfort actual garments.

Alas, Carla's hands remain useless at his sides, not even capable of a purposeless twitch, while Maria's are trembling, failing spectacularly at repression. He sees the way your cheeks, your nose develop into redness defiantly against the bitter cold that could only be described in the most striking dashes of blues; Carla feels irritation boil in his gut that Maria's reddening, and it's not at the gentle caress of his fingers or his lips.

It has nothing to do with Carla at all, it's just the stupid cold that continues falling around them in innocent flakes that frame this pitiful image, and the hum of nighttime almost sounds like the weather cackling at Carla's incompetence.

xx

"It's cold," Maria finally announces with a lick of defeat, and her shoulders submit to an aggressive shiver, one Carla notices through his growing guilt.

"It took you over four hundred footsteps to realize that," Carla comments, and he's glad his snark bestows a small smile over her pale lips. It's small, not quite as eye-catching as the grins Maria creates after a well-placed chide- but it's better than her face remaining in a constant, haunting impassiveness.

Carla sighs, and through falling snowflakes that tickle his eyelashes, he watches as his breath gathers into a puff, and he wishes his guilt would dissipate the same way the puff did after it hovers a few seconds. 

"Why did you even ask me to walk with you if I'm only going to watch you become a frozen statue?" The snow gathers still around the previous lushness of the grass, and he crushes the blankets of white under the soles of his shoes.