Chapter 1

"It's a huge snake!" A small black and white kit with yellow eyes squeaked loudly in the nursery. In front of her was a long light grey and fluffy tail that swayed back and forth.

The small kit lowered herself to the ground as she leaped for the tail and bit down onto it with her small teeth growing in. The tail moved to the left and went under the kit's nose making her sneeze.

The tail belonged to a beautiful light grey she-cat with light blue eyes. The she cat purred with amusement "Watch out Duskkit, the snake might try to...eat you!" Duskkit widened her eyes and jumped back away from her tail and squealed "Don't let it eat me mama!"

Her mother moved her tail away from Duskkit and stood to her paws "I need to go speak to Falconwing ok?"

Duskkit lowered her ears and dropped her tail "Who will I play with?"

Their mother looked to the back of the Nursery and saw a light brown she-kit playing with a leaf. She looked back down towards Duskkit and suggested "Maybe play with Dawnkit."

Duskkit swished her tail and glanced over her shoulder to see her sister tumbling around with a leaf in her mouth. Duskkit rolled her eyes and looked back up towards her mother "But mama! She doesn't play by the rules correctly! The oldest is supposed to be the leader but she wants to be leader."

Their mother closed her eyes and smiled as she tilted her head "Maybe you can give her a turn? It's only fair."

Duskkit stomped her left paw on the ground and huffed "But mama, that's not how the game-"

She interrupted sternly "Go on now. I need to get going." As she turned away from Duskkit and began padding her way towards the Nursery exit. Duskkit spun around as she watched her mother leave "Yes mama..."

Soon as their mother was out of sight, Duskkit looked towards Dawnkit and asked annoyed "Well? Do you want to play Leader and Deputy?"

Dawnkit let go of the leaf and glanced towards her sister with her glowing yellow eyes "No thanks...I don't want to be deputy."

Duskkit twitched her ear in annoyance as she took a step closer towards her sister. Did she not hear the talk I had with mama at all?

Duskkit sighed and mewed softly "I was thinking...maybe...I could be deputy today..."

Dawnkit raised her ears straight up and widened her eyes "R-really? I can be leader?"

Duskkit hesitantly nodded "Yeah...I figured I should finally let you...and change the rules."

Dawnkit jumped to her paws and squeaked happily "Thank you Duskkit!"

Duskkit shrugged it off as she straightened her body "What should we do with the border patrols Dawnstar?"

Dawnkit straightened her posture and raised her chin and tail high "We need to attack the rouges and kill them all!"

Duskkit reminded annoyed "You can't just attack and kill all the rouges. We need a plan Dawnstar."

Dawnkit fluffed up her fur and narrowed her eyes "You said I could be leader, not you!"

Duskkit rolled her eyes and shifted her paws "You can, but you can't lead properly!"

Dawnkit let her fur lie flat as she repeated "We will attack the rouges at night when they are asleep, and then kill them all."

Duskkit murmured "That's still stupid."

Dawnkit jumped back in surprise "That's a bad word!"

Duskkit looked around the empty Nursery filled with bedding and starred back towards her sister "No it's not, only cats who are mature enough can say it. Mother isn't even around right now so it doesn't matter."

Dawnkit tilted her head and narrowed her eyes once more "I'm telling Dawnbreeze."

Duskkit laughed and scoffed "You can't call her that Dawnkit. You're no better than a newborn kit."

Dawnkit growled paranoid "You were only born a few seconds before me! Ask Dawnbreeze! We are basically the same age!"

Duskkit opened her mouth to reply but a male voice spoke above her "What's with all the fighting?"

Both the kits stopped in their tracks and turned towards the Nursery exit and saw a tall, muscular dark brown Tom with yellow eyes glaring at them with Dawnbreeze next to him.

Dawnkit and Duskkit glanced towards each other sadly and then looked up towards the Tom "Sorry Falconwing."

Falconwing looked towards Dawnbreeze and smiled as he looked back down towards his kits "You're brothers and sister weren't as dislikeful of each other as you two are."

Dawnkit lowered her ears ashamed but Duskkit kept looking into her father's eyes with anger slowly rising in her. "W-well maybe if I had a better sister I would-"

Everyone gasped when Duskkit started the sentence but Falconwing raised his voice "Duskkit! What in the name of starclan is making you so grumpy?"

Dawnkit lowered her ears and sat down when Duskkit had wished for a better sister. I'm sorry I'm not good enough for you...

Dawnbreeze saddened as she mewed softly "Dawnkit, she didn't mean it..." But Dawnkit didn't even bother to listen to their sympathy... I need to stand up for myself and toughen up. Then I can be strong like Dreampaw, Stonepaw, and Twigpaw! They are my siblings after all!

"Dawnkit? Dawnkit!" Dawnkit snapped back into reality and saw everyone looking at her worried...except for Duskkit. Falconwing stepped into the nursery "Are you alright?"

Dawnkit just smiled and ignored Duskkit's words "I'm fine!

Dawnbreeze widened her eyes in surprise of her enthusiasm "Are you sure? You're only 4 moons old...you don't need to hide your feelings..."

Dawnkit just smiled it off and nodded "I'm fine, really." As she stood up and turned to walk the other way, she whispered into Duskkit's ears "Fox heart..."

Duskkit gasped and then let out a soft warning growl as Dawnkit padded towards her bedding made of moss. She sat down in it and curled up as Dawnbreeze padded up behind Dawnkit and laid down, as she wrapped her tail around her.

Falconwing began to leave the Nurser but he glanced over his shoulder and looked at Duskkit coldly "Be nice to Dawnkit...understand?"

Duskkit nodded and hissed under her breath "Whatever."

Duskkit turned around and padded towards their mother beginning to lay down on the bedding but a Dawnbreeze shook her head "When you clean your act up you can sleep with us."

Duskkit stepped back offended "She called me a fox heart!"

Dawnbreeze looked down towards Dawnkit who was already curled up and asleep. Dawnbreeze looked back up towards Duskkit "She would never say that. Now go to sleep in the bed next to us."

Duskkit narrowed her eyes as she sadly laid down in the bed next to Dawnkit and their mother, in fell into a deep sleep.

Dawnkit watched her sister sleep alone sadly as her mother rested her head on the moss nest to Dawnkit. Dawnkit sighed sadly as she looked towards the beautiful night sky and the bright moon shining in the sky.

Dawnkit closed her eyes as she laid her head down on the moss and began drifting off into sleep.