Chapter 9

Gingersplash stood in the center of the camp, looking for available cats to go on a hunting patrol. She looked down towards the half-empty fresh-kill pile with little worry in her eyes. She looked back up towards all the cats and noticed Falconwing and Duskpaw wandering free without duties.

She approached the mentor and asked "Hey Falconwing? Could you lead a hunting patrol and take Duskpaw with you?"

Falconwing looked towards the deputy and dipped his head respectfully "Of course. Could I take Hawktalon with me?"

Gingersplash smiled and nodded as she spun around and made her way towards the leader den, where Shadestar was sitting, talking to 3 cats, who were all mentors to, Dreampaw, Treepaw, and Stonepaw.

Falconwing turned his attention towards Duskpaw who was sitting by the apprentice den alone and bored looking. He purred a little as he approached her and asked "Duskpaw! We're going on a hunting patrol and I'm leading. You up for it?"

Duskpaw jumped to her paws as she nodded quickly "Some action! Finally!"

Falconwing twitched his ear in annoyance at her response but shrugged it off as he instructed "Can you to fetch Hawktalon? He will be joining us."

Duskpaw nodded as she spun around and raced towards the warrior den and saw Hawktalon and Dreampaw in there talking happily. Duskpaw cleared her throat loudly as their attentions were both directed to her.

Duskpaw mewed calmly "Hawktalon, you're on the hunting patrol."

He nodded as he stood to his paws and kissed Dreampaw on her cheek as he spun around and followed Duskpaw out of the warrior den. Duskpaw padded towards Falconwing not helping but feeling uncomfortable with Hawktalon following behind her. I just saw him kiss Dreampaw...kiss!

Once they both approached Falconwing he dipped his head towards Hawktalon as he spun around and lead the patrol out of camp, and into the territory. As they all made their way deeper and deeper, the scent of prey swirled around Duskpaw making her let out a smile.

Falconwing came to a halt and Duskpaw, and Hawktalon came to a halt right after him. He mewed softly "Spread out. Try to bring back either 1 big piece of prey or 2 small pieces."

Hawktalon and Duskpaw nodded as they got into hunting crouches and went their separate ways. Duskpaw made her way into thicker grass which thankfully could hide her visibility. She had caught the scent of a rabbit and grinned as she slowly caught the rabbit into sight.

She unleashed her claws and leaped for it, but once it was so close to being in her grasp, a white and black blur came crashing into her, making her tumble onto the ground clumsily.

When she looked back up, she saw a white and black cat with yellow eyes on the ground clumsily trying to get to his paws. Duskpaw narrowed her eyes as she weakly stood to her paws with her head pounding from when they bumped heads.

She growled "You're not a clan cat. State your business rouge." As she kept her claws unleashed, still furious from when she lost the rabbit.

The rouge managed to sit up as he swished his tail with his voice going in and out "Name's Shadow...0w..my head."

Duskpaw managed to stand to her paws as she swayed side to side approaching the rouge "Well...Shadow...you'd better scatter because this is Mistclan territory, and you just made me loose that rabbit!"

Shadow shook his head quickly as he looked her in the eyes and dipped his head "As you wish drama queen." As he stood to his paws and practically fell over. Duskpaw jumped to his side and pushed him back up before he hit the ground.