Chapter 17

Dawnpaw and Duskpaw slept in the same nest that night. Dawnpaw felt happier than ever that her and Duskpaw had a loving, and secure relationship for once in their life. Everything almost seemed perfect...except for the fact Dawnbreeze was no longer with them.

Falconwing had peeked his head into the apprentice den and mewed cheerfully "Dawnpaw, Duskpaw, time to get up."

Duskpaw moaned as she opened her eyes and rolled off the bed onto the hard ground. She stood to her paws and stretched as Dawnpaw did the same.

Duskpaw asked annoyed "We don't need a wake up alarm." Dawnpaw purred in amusement as she asked "What's with the wake up?"

Falconwing mewed towards them "You two are having your warriors ceremony today. Get ready." Dawnpaw and Duskpaw smiled happily as they looked at each other with pride and cheerfulness."

Falconwing quickly moved away from the apprentice den, leaving Duskpaw and Dawnpaw alone. Dawnpaw mewed happily "We're going to be warriors! Isn't this great?"

Duskpaw mewed in reply happily as she sat down and began grooming herself "It's a nice feeling...time to get ready don't forget."

Dawnpaw tilted her head curiously to her not so enthusiastic reply but nodded as she began grooming herself as well. Once they both finished, Dawnpaw mewed towards Duskpaw "I'm going to check on Gingersplash...I heard her coughing last night."

Duskpaw nodded as she continued grooming herself in her nest. Dawnpaw smiled as she made her way out of the den and towards the apprentice den where Leafblossum, Creamleaf, and Gingersplash were. Before she turned the corner into the den, she heard Creamleaf's voice. "Shadestar...I received a prophecy last night..."

Dawnpaw heard Shadestar reply worried "We don't have time for prophecies to be fulfilled...we have enough on our paws with these rogues."

Leafblossum asked softly "Do you still wish to hear it?"

Shadestar nodded slowly "Of course..."

Creamleaf mewed as he repeated the prophecy "The night's blood will be spilled by the light of day and the darkness shall fade."

Shadestar looked towards Leafblossum and Creamleaf surprised "What does it mean?"

Dawnpaw listed in with her heart racing That's the same thing I heard in my dream! I thought it was just a dumb dream...

Creamleaf and Leafblossum looked at each other as Leafblossum replied uneasily "We think it has to do with...Dawnpaw and Duskpaw."

Dawnpaw widened her eyes as she swished her tail What?! How...when...why?!

Shadestar mewed sternly "I don't want their lives being put at risk to fulfill this prophecy! Fernpelt wouldnt want this."

Dawnpaw tilted her head confused Fernpelt? Wasn't that Shadestar's old mate that died? Why would she care about mine and Duskpaw's destines?

Creamleaf mewed annoyed "I'm sure she wouldn't after you let us explain what it means."

Shadestar looked away concerned as he looked towards Leafblossum "Continue..."

Leafblossum began to explain "We believe this has to do with-"

"Hey Dawnpaw! Are you ready for your ceremony?" A light female voice mewed from behind Dawnpaw that made her almost jump out of her fur.

Dawnpaw spun around and saw Dreamcloud standing there smiling with Hawktalon by her "I'm a little worried but I think I'm ready!"

Hawktalon reassured warmly "Don't worry, Dawnpaw. You will be an amazing warrior!" Dreamcloud purred calmly "And you will be an amazing father."

They touched their noses together and curled up their tails as Dawnpaw began purring "I can't wait to have more kin!" Hawktalon and Dreamcloud began laughing along with Dawnpaw as Shadestar exited the Medicine den. I didn't get to hear what the prophecy met! Fox dung!

Shadestar looked down towards Dawnpaw as he mewed softly "It's time for your ceremony." Dawnpaw looked back towards her sister and her mate as she mewed worried "Bye!"

Dreamcloud reminded laughing "Don't worry!"

Shadestar had leapt up onto the high ledge as he yowled "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, join here beneath the high ledge for a clan meeting!"

All the cats began pouring out of their dens and into the clearing, with Duskpaw joining Dawnpaw, as they sat next to each other. Duskpaw mewed surprised "So many cats are here for our ceremony..."

Dawnpaw nodded surprised as well as she spotted all her siblings and her father sitting by each other looking at Duskpaw and her with happiness in their gaze.

Shadestar mewed proudly "It is time for Duskpaw and Dawnpaw to become full warriors of Mistclan." Cats began cheering with excitement as Creamleaf and Leafblossum glanced at Duskpaw with cold and harsh looks.

Dawnpaw nudged Duskpaw lightly as she teased Ignore them. They are just some grumpy cats!"

Duskpaw smiled a little as she nodded slowly. Shadestar mewed "Dawnpaw, step forward." Dawnpaw forced her paws to move and walked shakily towards the middle.

Shadestar asked "Do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and defend it, even at the cost of your life?"

Dawnpaw dipped her head and mewed "I do."

Shadestar smiled and mewed "From this day forward, you will be known as Dawnheart."

All the cats began chanting her name with their sibling's voices rising up loudly "Dawnheart! Dawnheart! Dawnheart!"

Dawnheart smiled warmly as she felt pride surge through her body. She took a step back as Duskpaw looked at her smiling.

Shadestar mewed towards Duskpaw "Duskpaw, step forward."

Duskpaw looked towards Dawnheart as she stepped forward and raised her tail up high. Shadestar asked "Do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and defend it, even at the cost of your life?"

Duskpaw nodded "I do."

Shadestar mewed calmly as his eyes glared at Creamleaf and Leafblossum "From this day forward, you will be known as Duskbreeze, in honor of your courage trying to defend Dawnbreeze against the rogues."

Cats began to cheer her name loudly "Duskbreeze! Duskbreeze! Duskbreeze!" Creamleaf and Leafblossum remained silent however, and Dawnheart looked at them with anger in her eyes,

Dawnheart purred towards Duskbreeze "Congratulations!" Duskbreeze looked back at Dawnheart and mewed in reply "Thanks. Congratulations to you too."

Dawnheart smiled as she spotted her father and siblings beginning to approach them with warmth in their eyes. Duskbreeze however, gave them a Dark and cold look as she glanced the other way.

Dawnheart wanted to question what was wrong but it was their warrior ceremony so she decided to keep her mouth closed. This is the start of a new life...a new life as a warrior!