Chapter 30

Shadestar stood on the high ledge with Dawnheart at his side. All the cats were gathered around preparing themselves to be picked for the battle patrol. Shadestar annouced "The cats joining the patrol will be...Firegaze, Mudtail, Moonshadow, Echoshade, and of course Dawnheart."

Dawnheart looked towards Shadestar surprised "M-me? I thought you were going to go and I would stay with the camp?"

Shadestar smiled a little "I am more than confident that my daughter can lead our clan into battle."

Dawnheart looked at her father with her tail high in the air as she realized "I am proud to call you my father...Falconwing will still be in my heart as the cat who raised me to be who I am today, as well Dawnbreeze."

Dawnheart looked down towards all the cats of Mistclan "Today will be the day we avenge our lost clan mates! We will show those rogues who this forest belongs to!"

All the cats began cheering and stomping their feet as Shadestar announced once more "If you were chosen for the battle patrol, follow Dawnheart out of the camp."

Cats began to separate and head for the camp exit as Shadestar and Dawnheart faced each other. Shadestar meowed softly "May Starclan light your path." Dawnheart dipped her head "May Starclan also light your path."

Then she leapt off the high ledge and made her way to the front of the battle patrol and lead them out of the camp, with the rest of the patrol following behind. Shadestar leapt off the high ledge and murmured to himself, "The darkness shall fade..."

~*~
The Mistclan battle patrol arrived at the gathering place to be greeted by the entire Sandclan, and the Creekclan battle patrol. As they waited for Brightclan and Hillclan, they all began talking and preparing battle strategies. Dawnheart had longed for the moment to fight a battle along Sunstreak's side, instead of fearing she would need to fight him.

That's when the Brightclan battle patrol came into view as about eight cats walked into the gathering place. Dawnheart met Sunstreak's gaze as he raced up to her and meowed "Hey Dawnheart."

Dawnheart smiled awkwardly "Hi Sunstreak."

They looked around at all the other cats talking strategies but Dawnheart just asked him "Do you think Greystar is skipping out of this?"

Sunstreak snorted as he meowed sharply "Probably...that mouse brain probably has something better to do."

Dawnheart laughed a little before realizing he was being serious. She decided to change the topic to ease their minds before the battle "Sunstreak...I'm sorry about everything."

He looked at her curious "What do you mean? You did nothing wrong."

She hesitated as she tucked her tail between her legs "That's the thing...I did. I told Duskbreeze's secret and now she's exiled, I was too late to save the lives of so many cats, and now that I'm Deputy we can't see each other anymore!"

Sunstreak sighed and smiled as he put his paw on top of hers "I will be there for you when this battle is over...no matter what clan I'm in..."

Dawnheart purred softly as she slightly blushed, but Gracestar called "We can't wait on Hillclan any longer. We're loosing daylight."

Dawnheart and Sunstreak looked at each other and nodded in agreement, but Creekstar protested "But Greystar said he would contribute to our causes for once."

"And I will." A male voice meowed from the gathering entrance as the Hillclan leader walked in with his battle patrol behind him. Bloomstar looked towards Dawnheart and asked "Where's Shadestar?"