Chapter 16

The moon was shining high in the sky as the warriors of Mistclan mourned over Dawnbreeze's body. Falconwing, Treebranch, Stonefall, Dreamcloud, Dawnpaw, and Duskpaw mourned the longest out of the entire clan. Stonefall murmured "I'm sorry we couldn't save you, Dawnbreeze."

Treebranch mewed softly as Dreamcloud nodded in agreement "But we can honor Duskpaw for being there to chase off the rogue."

Dawnpaw looked towards Duskpaw with anger flowing through her body. Falconwing mewed sadly towards Dawnbreeze "May Starclan light your path..." He cleared his throat as he looked at all his kits "It's time to bury her."

They all looked up at Falconwing mournfully as they all stood to their paws, and lifted up their mother's body onto their backs.

~*~

Dawnpaw couldn't sleep the remaining of the night. She laid restlessly in her nest as Duskpaw laid in her nest beside her. She couldn't help but wonder what would've happened if she had spilled Duskpaw's secret. Would Dawnbreeze be alive? Would this battle still have happened? Would Duskpaw still be in Mistclan? This was all my decision...

Dawnpaw finally decided to open her eyes as she stood to her paws and her eyes drooped heavily from tiredness. She poked her head out of the apprentice den as she heard a she-cat coughing violently from the medicine den. She widened her eyes as she wondered Who's coughing?

"Gingersplash, we think you may be coming down with white cough." Leafblossum mewed worried as Gingersplash laid in the moss bedding made for her. Dawnpaw twitched her ear worried as she slowly crept out of the apprentice den and began to approach the Medicine den.

Gingersplash coughed and asked "How quickly until I'm cured? I need to be there for my clan as their dep-" She suddenly began coughing louder and louder until it sounded very serious. Creamleaf pushed poppy seeds towards Gingersplash and urged "Eat these to ease the pain in your stomach from coughing so you can sleep."

Gingersplash quickly gulped down the seeds as her body tensed and she slowly began to fall asleep. Leafblossum suggested "Should we get her to swallow some catmint as well before she falls asleep? It should help rid of the white cough."

Creamleaf shook his head "We don't want to give her many different herbs at the same time. It could mess with the function of her body."

Leafblossum nodded in understanding as she mewed calmly "You can go get some sleep. I will watch over Gingersplash's coughing while she sleeps."

Creamleaf protested as he arranged his bedding "I can stay awake. You've been up all day-"

Leafblossum interrupted softly "You've been up all day and night. Please...sleep."

Creamleaf sighed but nodded as he laid down in his bed and curled up. "If you need me, wake me up." As he closed his eyes and began trying to fall asleep.

Leafblossum nodded as she began organizing the herb store. Dawnpaw padded in and whispered "Leafblossum?"

Leafblossum glanced over her shoulder at Dawnpaw and smiled warmly "Hello Dawnpaw. Why are you up so late?"

Dawnpaw hesitated as she looked down at Gingersplash and then Creamleaf. She shot a glance back up at Leafblossum "Did you find out who my mother's killer is?"

Leafblossum shook her head but mewed in reply "I found a patch of white and black fur on her body. It doesn't really help but-"

Dawnpaw mewed softly and surprised "Shadow..."

Leafblossum tilted her head confused as she flicked her ear "Hmm? Shadow?"

Dawnpaw corrected herself as she was smiling worried "It must've been a very hard shadow blocking the way to finding out the truth." She gave an unconvincing smile and Leafblossum just nodded slowly "Yeah..."